Server question

nemac

Registered
I was talking with my boss about switching from Windows Server 2008 to a MAC server. He hates MAC's but has been switching to Apple's. He mentioned that the Apple server is only good as a file server or print server. I have never worked with an Apple serever so I don't have an opinion on the subject. I would appreciate any input on the subject.

Thank you.

What are your server needs? File and print, sure... what about directory authentication? DNS/DHCP? Web server? FTP?

If you can specify what services you'd be using the Apple server for, we can give you a better recommendation on whether or not Mac OS X Server would be appropriate.

We currently have three Windows 2008 servers. The first is the domain controller which we all authenticate too, DNS, DHCP. The sencond server is used as a file server. The last server is configured as a Term server. People can log into it from home and have access to all of their applications running on their box. The reason I suggested trying a Mac server is that all of the servers are running Windows Server 2008r2, which has a know bug that forces you to clear the DNS cache on a regular basis or else you will not be able to hit your web site. Keep in mind that it is too late to switch over to the Mac side. We have spent too much money to do that. I am just curious.

Thank again.

Well a Mac Mini server might be the way to get your feet wet.

A site that is dedicated to the OS X Server users community is AFP548.com. Also a good site about putting lone Macs into windows Domains (for a long time & their reader reports are great) is MacWindows.com. Take either of these blogs with a grain of salt. However both of these sites can give great tips along the SMB way.

Last edited:
Back