Setting a custom display resolution? iMac -> EDTV via DVI

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
As far as I can tell, this is an OSX software problem.

I have a 20" iMac Core Duo that I'm trying to hook to my 37" panasonic EDTV via DVI. The idea here was to be able to view Front Row on my TV and have access to my Movies, DVDs, Photos, etc.

My TV is a commercial panel that has video cards that can be swapped into it. I bought a DVI card for the TV and hooked it up to my mac.

My Mac won't let me set the native resolution on the TV - it will only let me pick from 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480. The native resolution of the TV is 854x480. At 1024x768 with mirror mode on, the picture shows up on the TV but the top and bottom of the screen are chopped off and the image is squished (heads are tall and skinny).

Anybody have any idea how I can fix this? How can I enter a custom resolution to send to the TV?

SwitchResX may help:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15467

Be careful with it though, and make sure the resolution you're switching to and the display you are switching are perfectly correct -- otherwise, it's hell to try and switch them back if you end up with a blank screen (due to an unsupported resolution).

It may also be that the iMac Core Duo graphics card just doesn't support the exact resolution you're aiming for, in which case, selecting the closest neighbor is the best you can do.

Back