setting up the Linksys WRT54GL

27 houdini's

guy with great hairdo
I have trouble setting up the Linksys WRT54GL wireless router.
Target: multiple computers get internet through DHCP, logging in with password on visible network.

current setup is WPA personal with network name public. This configuration is very unstable, with connection dropping off. Trouble on all computers, Apple OS software update is impossible because the connection breaks all the time. There loads of settings that are totally obscure to me (one needs knowledge of the highly secretive linksys lingo)

Maybe some one uses this router and can send me a config file?

the manual:
http://www.voipsolutions.be/documents/Manual/WRT54G-manual.pdf

Thx

That router only does WEP (that security protocol was broken into back in 1999. That is why WPA then WPA2 was created) by the manual you linked to.

sorry, wrong manual

Maybe check the connection without security, eventually in such a manner that the security riscs are small.

We sell those a lot and do not have those kind of problems (although maybe customers call the linksys helpdesk directly). Also possible is a bad wireless router, so maybe you have it replaced. Although i have no knowledge of this being a common problem for this router, i have had this problem with wrt54g routers about a year ago, where a high percentage (according to linksys standards) had that problem.

Good luck, Kees

Back