setting up WBR 1310

koyanaasqatsi

Registered
I've tried to set up my D-Link WBR 1310 wireless router, using both my iMac G3 and iBook G4, to no avail. I followed the instructions in the user manual to the T, but reach an impasse when I try to connect to the internet. As soon as I open up Safari or Opera, I get the message "cannot connect to server" (or something like that), indicating that there is no internet connection.
Do I have to reset my IP address, Subnet mask, etc... I've tried all options I can think of, to no avail.
Frustration squared.

Mick

When you got the router how did you connect it? If the router is directly connecting to the ISP modem, the ISP modem needs to be powered reset (leave power off on the modem for about 3 minutes so the ISP will recycle the IP they give you).

According to the manual you first connected to the router via an ethernet connection to set the wireless up, right. Connect to the router via ethernet and then open System Preferences->Network to see if the router gives you an IP and see what the router's (not your Mac) IP is. Then put that IP (only) in the address bar of your browser. With D-Link routers the first time you connect to the router to admin it the username=admin and leave the password blank. This should log you into the router to set it up (and give a good long password that you will remember (with numbers and symbols). I say give it a good long secure password because it is exposed to the net directly. Plus give the router wireless security WPA2 if your Mac & the router support it. I say this because the WEP wireless security can be broken in three seconds now.

When you got the router how did you connect it? If the router is directly connecting to the ISP modem, the ISP modem needs to be powered reset (leave power off on the modem for about 3 minutes so the ISP will recycle the IP they give you). I'VE DONE THIS SEVERAL TIMES. NO LUCK

According to the manual you first connected to the router via an ethernet connection to set the wireless up, right. RIGHT Connect to the router via ethernet and then open System Preferences->Network to see if the router gives you an IP and see what the router's (not your Mac) IP is....>>PLS SEE ATTACHMENTS

Attachments

• SCREENSHOT 1.doc
    57.5 KB · Views: 6
  • screenshot 2.doc
    51.5 KB · Views: 6
Back