Setup Assistant Migration on Other Macs?

kermit64

Registered
Has anyone used the Setup Assistant's Migration Utility on another mac?
I've gotten it running, but it doesn't work correctly.
What I do is copy /Applications/Utilities/Setup Assistant.app and /System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app from a new laptop that had the migration utility when i first set it up (Setup Assistant version 10.3.5).
Then I ran the /Applications/Utilities/Setup Assistant.app and it logged me out and started setup assistant but won't display my mouse and won't let me get past the first page where it wants to know if I want to transfer files. It doesn't have a continue button or anything, but it doesn't seem like it's hung. Any ideas?

You shouldn't need to copy the setup assistant over. Its included with all Macs and versions of MacOSX that support it.

Are you trying to use the Setup Assistant to set up a Mac that already has a user account on it, or has been "set up" with a user account already?

I believe the Setup Assistant requires the OS X software on the machine to be in a certain state -- most likely, not set up with any user accounts, or freshly installed from the factory. If you've already got OS X on the machine and have it completely set up and ready to use with a user account and all, I don't think Setup Assistant is going to like that and probably won't work...

i'm trying to use the newest setup assistant to transfer user accounts and applications.
i've seen other discussion about rerunning the setup assistant by deleting the flag files and the netinfo database.
just wondering if anyone had successfully done this.

Back