Several programs not responding

PhilDTankup

Registered
System OS X 10.3.9 (Panther)-G4 (also OS9 Classic)

I saw a question recently titled 'Safari not responding' which is a problem I have been experiencing. The following programs also are not responding: Help Viewer/Calculator/software update (checks but will not install)/printer setup. I followed the suggestions and booted off the Cd and ran the Repair Disk/Repair Permissions programs but this did not solve the problem. I tried downloading the 10.3.8 Combo Updater but the installer part does not respond (spinning wheel!). Is there anything else I can try? In the past I have found some of the updates to cause problems (especially QuickTime) and have tried deleting the related preferences file but this no longer corrects the problem.

I'm afraid not; this happened once before and I found that deleting preferences files for Quicktime solved the problem but I am now back to square one. I find that I have to force all these programs to quit as I am always confronted with the spinning wheel (of doom!). Let me know if you have any luck. As we speak I am awaiting the arrival of a new G5 Mac so maybe this will solve my current issues.
Regards

I had exactly the same problem.

I finally re-installed my system software (up t0 10.3.9) and I have all my files, but have lost my addresses and past emails, both of which I need.

Can anyone help?

In safari and iMac 10 .58 I had constant problems with sever not responding. I replaced my wireless modem twice. From AT&T to net gear wireless modem. No change. Then had AT&T come to my home and could not find anything wrong. Then went to apple three times before I had a genius at the genius bar say, it is the two wire wireless that does not speak to apple. So I bought the airport and disabled my wireless net gear and , BINGO! I do not have server not responding issues anymore. What a relief.

Back