ShapeShifter - Safe Themer App

Ripcord, the classic theme is called Classic Platinum 1.2.4, I just followed the URL's from Unsanitys install page, they listed about 6 web sites.

Neal

Wise_Monk said:
how easy is it to switch back to the default panther theme?

Yep, like Sogni said, you just turn it off. What sets this application themer apart from others is that it doesn't touch any system resources or make any changes to system files -- it's all done in RAM, on-the-fly, so that simply turning it off returns your system back to its original state.

I would venture to say that safety and stability over other theme applications is significant. I would have never used one of the theme applications that modified my resources, but with ShapeShifter, I feel a LOT more at ease. I've got it installed, but deactivated at the moment for lack of a theme I really like better than the standard UI, and I'm experiencing absolutely no problems, stability, compatibility or otherwise.

I think this theme app will do to OS X what Kaleidoscope did for OS 9. Boy, do I miss that little application and was completely bummed when I learned that it shut down and wouldn't venture into OS X territory. I've still got Kaleidoscope on an old PowerMac 8500 and love it.

I can't get Shapeshifter to allow me to "Apply Selected" theme in sys prefs (grayed out). It's fully functional for 15 days right? I have rebooted and the sy pref claims it's on. I can preview the theme, that button works, but not Apply.

------

Update:

User error. I didn't realize you actually had to click on the little radio button. They need to fix that. You can click on the theme name, which selects it visually, but that doesn't actually truly select the theme for activation. Slightly annoying.

Now I've gone and done it. I was digging around those Theme sites and came across the "dxb" one, which looks like architecture scribble sort of. For some idiotic reason, I proceeded with using its full installer .mpkg and now I don't know how to unapply this theme. Help!

For the record, this dxb theme was not installed through Shapeshifter.

Shame on me for being so dumb.

No, the themes that are installers aren't for use with ShapeShifter.

Go back to the site you downloaded it from and there should be another file somewhere in the vicinity of the installer file to download that will restore your system back to normal.

Edit: I think this the page you're looking for:

http://www.desktopper.net/archives/000209.html

If that's the theme you're talking about, download the file that says "Restore" right below the theme download link.

Edit Edit: Hmmm, it seems that the restore file doesn't work under 10.3... I think you're stuck!

Dxb is a really cool theme,
but it doesn't install through Shapeshifter.
Desktopper is working on it.

To Restore Panther Theme:
Use the Restore Package (named “Restore theme (MenuEnhancerSample).mpkg”)
Launch it, click “continue” until you see a personalized button.
Select this “personalized” button.
Then, only select the first option : “ddn_restore_extras”.
Don’t select the others.
After the installation, restart and it’s ok.

ttfn Dirtbag

Their GUiPod theme looks really cool, but it did screw up dreamweaver a little bit. (It made input text in the properties box seem to disappear.) But you can just exclude programs like that from getting themed, so it's really simple!

I really like it. ElDiabloConCaca, how did you find out it's all done in RAM, on the fly? Where is that info posted? Also, how can you make your own themes?

MindBend, make sure the radio button is selected when you want to apply a theme I had the same problem because I thought just highlighting the them was enough.

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    16.2 KB · Views: 3
Well, to answer the radio button question, I would assume that clicking on the theme gives you the opportunity to view a small preview of the theme before applying it, and the radio button makes the choice "definite." Although I guess highlighting the theme doesn't actually activate it -- you have to hit the activate button, which just negates what I just said.

solrac: I know that I was involved in a discussion somewhere about it, because I like to keep my system pretty "clean" and was worried about the stability issues and worried about mucking around with system files. One of the designers was involved in the forum and explained how it worked, which is basically just kind of like intercepting the system calls to the UI and redirecting them to the ShapeShifter, all in RAM... the way he explained it was a little better than that, but I know what I'm doing with computers and his explanation put me at ease. Just think back to the OS 9 days and Kaleidoscope -- sure, a select FEW programs didn't mesh all that well with Kaleidoscope, but since it didn't directly modify any files, it couldn't hurt your system one bit. That's ShapeShifter for OS X in a nutshell...

Here's a line from the Read Me file included with the installer:

"ShapeShifter is safe because it never touches the actual files and resources residing deep within your system."

Although that doesn't say specifically that it does it on the fly in RAM, that line combined with the discussion with the designer convinced me.

I've noticed some serious scrolling bugs when using ShapeShifter. Both in Mail and in Safari. For now, it's gone from my harddrive again, although I still like SmoothStripes by Max... Well, At least, Panther's new graphite Aqua is not that bad. :p

Back