Shared files ownership and permissions ... I am not getting it.

sneyders

Registered
On my Powerbook G4 I have 2 users (my wife and me) and we share our common data in the Mac OS X Shared folder.

Now when I create a file on my account and later want to share it with my wife, I copy it in the shared folder. Now when she opens it and tries to update it she gets a "read only" error. Today she solves it by duplicating the file before opening, trowing away the original and then restoring the file name.

There must be an easier way. How?

I know this is all related to the Unix file system, but I would think the Mac OS would be smart enough to change the user permission the moment I copy the file into the shared folder. Or am I missing something?

Thx
Dave

You need to setup groups for your acounts that way the mac knows that when you make a file that it can be use by others in your group. This something that does come from the Unix side of things, But Windows has to have the same setup. if you happen to be a Admin other users could not do anything with your files other then look at them. But if you set you as part of the group that have the other users in it then they can work on your files.

Back