Sharing Photos Library

John Varela

Registered
I am sharing my Photos Library between my iMac and my iPad and would like to share with my wife's Mac and iPad.

Can I do that, and if so, how? The library is in iCloud. We have shared iCloud storage but separate partitions.

Depends only if your music is either all self rips or all bought online Apple iTunes Music store or a mix? I ask because the right (defined by the MPAA) to ONE user! So is all you music tied to your iTunes username or loved ones account?

Depends only if your music is either all self rips or all bought online Apple iTunes Music store or a mix? I ask because the right (defined by the MPAA) to ONE user! So is all you music tied to your iTunes username or loved ones account?
This is Photos, not Music. All the photos are either taken by me or scanned from old photo albums that I own, plus some photos sent to me by friends and relatives who expect me to share them with my wife.

But thanks for trying.

That's one album at a time, isn't it? What I would like to do is share the entire library of over 12,000 photos. Can that be done? And having done it, could her Desktop and Screen Saver have access to the that Photos library?

If possible, I would also like to share the structure now shared by my Mac and iPad, that sorts the library into over 100 albums: sorted year by year within a sort decade by decade, plus an album for each major trip, and so forth. Can that be done?

I suppose I could create 100 shared albums, but that sounds both tedious and clumsy. My existing sort within a sort makes it easy and quick to find things.

Last edited:
That's one album at a time, isn't it? What I would like to do is share the entire library of over 12,000 photos. Can that be done? And having done it, could her Desktop and Screen Saver have access to the that Photos library?

If possible, I would also like to share the structure now shared by my Mac and iPad, that sorts the library into over 100 albums: sorted year by year within a sort decade by decade, plus an album for each major trip, and so forth. Can that be done?

I suppose I could create 100 shared albums, but that sounds both tedious and clumsy. My existing sort within a sort makes it easy and quick to find things.
Currently there's no way to share your entire library unless she is logged in with the same Apple ID (basically what you do with your Mac & iPad). This is due to how the Photos app is made and how Apple decided to handle various privacy concerns. Apple introduced a family sharing feature, but you still have to tell it what to share. While it works for most people, it isn't going to do exactly what you want. One alternative is to sync with Google Photos. Another option might be to script something with Automator, but that will probably wind up being a royal pain and more hassle than its worth.

Let Apple know you want this feature...maybe they'll implement it if enough people sound-off about it.
https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos/

Currently there's no way to share your entire library unless she is logged in with the same Apple ID (basically what you do with your Mac & iPad). This is due to how the Photos app is made and how Apple decided to handle various privacy concerns. Apple introduced a family sharing feature, but you still have to tell it what to share. While it works for most people, it isn't going to do exactly what you want. One alternative is to sync with Google Photos. Another option might be to script something with Automator, but that will probably wind up being a royal pain and more hassle than its worth.

Let Apple know you want this feature...maybe they'll implement it if enough people sound-off about it.
https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos/
Thanks for the reply. It's not a surprise that it can't be done. I'll have to continue to use sneakernet and abandon hope of transferring all the metadata.

Back