Short Specs: Is This a Decent Machine & Can It Be Upgraded?

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
Model Name: MacBook Air
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

If I take good care of this computer (i.e., performing maintenance tasks, permissions repair, Onyx, etc.) and baby it, how long (roughly) do you think it will last? I don't do anything fancy. Just your typical Internet surfing, email, videos, etc. Also, can this computer be upgraded with additional memory?

Your MacBook Air (11-inch, Late 2010) has only one possible hardware upgrade. The RAM memory (2GB) is built-in, and not possible to upgrade. The existing RAM memory is permanently installed.
You CAN replace the SSD (flash storage) with more capacity. OWC sells several: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Air_2010
So, if you have the small capacity (64GB or 128GB were the only sizes available from Apple), then you COULD go up to 480GB!
The prices continue to come down, but still a lot of loot to just have more internal storage.

I would say that you don't need to do ANY maintenance, as those items you mentioned are mostly just "feel good" stuff - unless that's something that you need to do because you are actually having problems.
"baby it"? Sure, don't drop it on hard surfaces! The MBAir is actually pretty rugged...
If "baby it" means keep it warm, and wrapped in a blanket - be sure it wears a hat so it doesn't get too much sun...
Some of those would be really hazardous to the life of your MBAir.
There's no moving parts inside, except a fan, but no spinning hard drive. So, my guess is the first thing to fail will likely be the battery, and you should get another 3 or 4 years from that, maybe more.

You can upgrade the OS X to the current Mountain Lion. However, the 2GB of RAM is the minimum that ML requires. If you are the original purchaser, then it would have been nice if you had decided on the 4GB model at that time. You can't modify the RAM that you have now.

Back