Should I be worried about Macintosh

thewhitenite007

Registered
Since i started using macs Ive always raved about them, but now....

My main problem now is that my ipod ran out of batteries on Friday, and when I plugged it in to my 17" PB it would not connect or charge via the firewire hub or the port on my comp. It wouldnt turn on, nothing, dead! So i tried it on my mac mini, itunes didnt pop up, the ipod didnt show up on the desktop, nothing again. Is this a major problem? Could it be fixed w/o dealing with applecare, eventhough they have been ever so helpful replacing my airport extreme, logic board, and hard drive on my 17" PB.

Also my dual 2.5 G5 w/ 2.5 gigs of ram at work, the superdrive failed so its going back to apple this week!!! WHOO HOOO

Try connecting your iPod to AC power. If that doesn't bring it back to life, it may be dead, or a dead battery, in which you'd have to contact one of the many companies that replaces iPod batteries.

Also, if you ran the battery ALL the way down, it may take 30 minutes or more of having the iPod plugged into a power source for it to spring back to life. Patience is the key -- plug the iPod into a power source (USB2, FireWire or A/C adaptor) and leave it there for at least an hour.

When you run an iPod ALL the way down, it will shut itself off until it gets enough charge to normally function again. Since the battery is completely depleted, leaving it plugged in for at least an hour is recommended to get enough charge back in the unit that it will turn back on.

After charging it for an hour or more (at least), you may need to reset the iPod by holding down the Menu and Select buttons simultaneously (4th-gen iPod) for a few seconds.

I am in the same boat...now everything Apple I have purchased has broken, lost my ibook (think it is the logic board) this weekend. I was at the apple store yesterday -they had so many people needing new ipods they were turning people away from waiting, I waited for three hours (for someone to look at my ibook) and watched as people exchanged their broken ipods. I don't know anyone who has had an ipod for over a year and hasn't had it replaced (me too of course), why do we put up with this?
sorry I don't have any advice for your ipod, sounds like the battery is dead, just thought I share your disgust with them..

it was charging, and it needed to be reset. It took 15 seconds holding down the reset buttons to bring it back to life. Its like how can you know that if you plug it in and get no response? aye

there are alot of sites that show you how to take apart the ipods and change the hdd, batteries, etc. www.ipodgarage.com has some info, also there are sites that u can send the ipod in and for $99 repairs the hdd and new batteries installed.....just a thought.

Applecare is supposed to be one of the best out there, i wouldnt worry bout apple co. might of just got the runt of the litter.

jealoui said:
I am in the same boat...now everything Apple I have purchased has broken, lost my ibook (think it is the logic board) this weekend. I was at the apple store yesterday -they had so many people needing new ipods they were turning people away from waiting, I waited for three hours (for someone to look at my ibook) and watched as people exchanged their broken ipods. I don't know anyone who has had an ipod for over a year and hasn't had it replaced (me too of course), why do we put up with this?
sorry I don't have any advice for your ipod, sounds like the battery is dead, just thought I share your disgust with them..
I'll be taking my second iPod shuffle into the store today to see about having it replaced again. If the third one dies after I get it (two have died now in under 30 days), I'm officially calling the iPod shuffle a junk product. I know it's a cheap iPod, but it should work for more than a week, especially given the fact that I take such good care of it.

Now I understand why the iPod mini is so popular. :p Mine has taken a couple of falls and it's gotten some dents, but it still works great. Yeah, I usually end up doing the post-stress-testing for anything that I buy, and it's usually not by choice (my kids partake in the stress testing as well :p). I've gone through I don't know how many Dell Latitude laptops from work as well as this HP nx9010 I have now from work, but so far the iBooks (old clamshell) and PowerBooks (Wallstreet II), have taken the beatings from my use. I might even look into getting a nice used Pismo just because they are so rugged, although funds prevent me from doing so right now. :p

i've only ever bought one new apple item, all else has been used. never had a problem with any of it. the new thing was a 3rd gen ipod, and i have never had to take it back. i did on the earbuds, stoped getting sound out of the right side, but then i'm really hard on ear buds. but the pod has been just fine. still get close to 8 hrs whith apple's batt test. but real world test give just over 6hrs. i use it the most in the car, as i drive for a living. i use the itrip, and got between 2 to 4 hrs, depending on how much starting/stoping/skipping i do. so i got a car charger, and now have noprob. i love the touch button way better then the clickwheel. but the video capible ipods are very tempting. as far as desktops go, i had a mac+ screen die, after 15yrs of use. 10yr old monitors die. so i have not seen anything different in apple life then that of the rest of the industry. in fact, in the long run, apple products last longer, imo.

It's weird how some people have multiple bad experiences with a vendor. I (so far, knocks on wood) haven't had any problems with my two iPods and two Macs. Generally, I haven't had problems with any of my PC hardware either, well not problems that were caused from faulty hardware... just lightning strikes...

HateEternal said:
It's weird how some people have multiple bad experiences with a vendor. I (so far, knocks on wood) haven't had any problems with my two iPods and two Macs. Generally, I haven't had problems with any of my PC hardware either, well not problems that were caused from faulty hardware... just lightning strikes...
The only thing I care about is Apple's better-than-average support policy. I got my second iPod shuffle replaced yesterday and the new one works, so far. If this one breaks, I'll be back in the store until I tire of the whole process. ;)

Apple consistently scores highly in reliability. I trust PC Mag and Consumer Reports. Both have reported Apple as #1 or one of the top two or three for reliability.

Of course, that probably doesn't make people feel better when their Macs or iPods malfunction. But, it could be worse. You could have a Dell DJ. Ugh. Burns my eyes to look at the stupid thing.

Doug

dktrickey said:
Apple consistently scores highly in reliability. I trust PC Mag and Consumer Reports. Both have reported Apple as #1 or one of the top two or three for reliability.

Of course, that probably doesn't make people feel better when their Macs or iPods malfunction. But, it could be worse. You could have a Dell DJ. Ugh. Burns my eyes to look at the stupid thing.

Doug
I have a Dell DJ. Though it doesn't look as nice as the iPod, I have to give credit to Creative, the designer and manufacturer, for a pretty good product in terms of reliability. It locks up from time to time, and you have to reset it with a paper clip, but I've had it for a couple years now and it it's still running strong.

Sorry dmetzcher. I didn't mean to insult your DJ. They just, um, burn my eyes. I'm sure they sound nice.

I suppose if you're using it with your Mac that would take some of the burn away. Ok . . . I'll shut up now.

Doug

dktrickey said:
Sorry dmetzcher. I didn't mean to insult your DJ. They just, um, burn my eyes. I'm sure they sound nice.

I suppose if you're using it with your Mac that would take some of the burn away. Ok . . . I'll shut up now.

Doug
LOL. I'm sure my DJ wasn't insulted. I'm selling it now anyway. I just got a new iPod. :D

Back