Should I buy an iPod Touch for Google Maps?

Asterax

Registered
A major interest I have in the iPod Touch is being able to find my away around the city and listen to music at the same time. However, I have heard that the iPod Touch isn't very effective using just wireless connectivity, when using Google Maps.

My general questions:

Is Google Maps on the iPod Touch fast and effective?

Are there any other iPod Touch apps which do the same thing without issue?

Why does the Google Maps connect to the Internet? Maps don't change (often).

Thanks.

To use google maps, you would need to have a wi-fi connection. Not very practical for what you want to do. The maps are stored on the server, not the device, so even though they dont change often, if you have no internet connection, you have no maps. the iPhone, though, because it uses a data plan, would have access anywhere you would have cell coverage.

Just be aware, like skybolt alluded to, that you don't get wireless connectivity with the iPod Touch anywhere you can't get wireless access with a computer -- meaning, wireless internet on the iPod Touch only works with 802.11 wireless access points (the same ones you get online with using a laptop computer).

The iPhone, on the other hand, can use high-speed cellular networks, and can get internet access anywhere a cell phone can get a signal (the iPod Touch does not have this).

A quick way to think about this is:

If you can get a cell phone signal, you can use the internet with the iPhone.
If you can get online with a laptop computer, you can use the internet with the iPod Touch.

Also, as skybolt said, even though maps don't change, they're still stored on Google's servers. If you were to store those same maps locally on your iPod Touch, you would need over 500GB of storage space, and probably more. It may be a "small map" on your screen, but the data behind the maps is gigantic -- completely unfeasible to store locally on your iPod Touch. I work in GIS, and just to give you an example of how big "map data" is, the database of streets for the entire United States in my mapping program is well over 11 GB -- that's streets alone... no topography, no "places of interest", no addresses, no airports, no schools, no nothing but the streets themselves and their names.

Worth noting here,
I often download a google map of an area I'm interested in going to, while I'm online at home.
Once on my iPod Touch that map is available for referencing during my trip, even without being connected.

jb.

Well you can make it into a .jpg and load it onto the iTouch using iPhoto (or one of the new apps like filemagnet).

You should also be aware of a "localisation" issue. Not all internet points provide a true location for the iTouch google maps to use. So you may have access to internet, access to google maps, but the self-locate maybe incorrect.

This is not a major issue if you can provide an address to google maps.

Depending on which city you are in, you my be able to tap into wireless networks around you. For instance, when I travel to New York City or Boston, I routinely can get a wireless internet connection, especially in areas where residential and businesses of interest are located. And if you go to Starbucks, you can get a Starbucks card (login and password needed) and get wireless internet free up to 2 hours/day at any Starbucks supporting wireless internet.

I've found that the Garmin nuvi 360 and the iPod Touch are perfect companions for traveling. The Garmin already has the database of businesses, points of interests (entertainment, recreation, theaters, shops, restaurants, etc...) and the list goes on.

Both devices are some of the best money I've spent for exceptional value. I know that the new iPhone has GPS built into it, but you must have a connection to a server to get the information needed, that's where the Garmin GPS unit is better, in my opinion. There are only a few times where the Garmin was incorrect in getting me to my destination as the maps must be updated annually, however, I would definitely recommend a Garmin GPS unit for those who drive to their destinations.

Worth noting here,
I often download a google map of an area I'm interested in going to, while I'm online at home.
Once on my iPod Touch that map is available for referencing during my trip, even without being connected.

jb.

Could you tell/show how can we download the google map on to the touch to view when offline. your info will be greatly appreciated.

Back