Should I buy now or later

northmendo.com

northmendo
I am having the hardest time trying to decide when to get a MacBook Pro, now or wait till June. From what I have read it sounds like all the bugs are worked out in the new rev D of the MBP. What do you think. Will the MacBook (iBook) have a core duo or a single core?
 

JetwingX

iWork for Apple <3
then by june, you'll be wondering again if you should wait because faster processors are going to come out and maybe prices will come down.

If you have the money, and you need the computer, go for it. If you have time to burn, then wait.
 
yeah, jetwing is right. There will ALWAYS be something on the horizon that seems worth waiting for. I"m buying a MBP soon as I can afford it.

If I may hijack your thread for a moment and ask my own question: This Revision D MBP; is that now available worldwide (ie. in Australia too) or will it take a few weeks before we get it? How long ago was it released?

AU Apple Store says MBP are shipping in 24 hours -- but perhaps they are =getting rid of their old revisions? I notice that often when Apple bring out a new machine it can be some time before we see it here in Oz. Does that go for MBP revisions too? If there an easy way of finding out what revision it is?

crap, that was a lot of questions. sorry.

</hijack>
 

northmendo.com

northmendo
My biggest concern is that all the bugs are not worked out yet. What do you think. The only reason I said June is the MacBook is supposed to be out and if it is comparable it might be worth it.
 

ElDiabloConCaca

U.S.D.A. Prime
The "bugs" will never be completely worked out, ever. Every single computer ever released has some sort of errata associated with them, so it's a simple matter of how much you're willing to put up with. Even if the hardware kinks are mostly worked out, there are still errata in all processors used in all computers.

It looks like the MacBook Pro is a pretty solid computer now, though, so it's really a matter of personal preference -- what's good for you may not be for someone else and vice-versa. If you want a MacBook Pro, get one. If you want to wait to see what else comes out, wait.
 

northmendo.com

northmendo
I do want a MBP I just don't require all the extras it has if the MacBook will be compareable in speed. I am just afarid I will regret the extra money spent. My other problem is I am still on a 700mhz g3 so I need the upgrade.
 

Veljo

Mac Enthusiast
I say wait for the MacBooks to come out. They'll be way cheaper than a MacBook Pro and the higher end model will probably have an Intel Core Duo processor.
 

markhowson999

Registered
MacBook will probaly be single core

The guys at diggnation (cool tech podcast) recommend you wait a few months if you need the Wi-Fi to work, however, they do say it's fast, and FireFox loads in '1 and a 1/2 bounces'
 

chornbe

Who, me?
northmendo.com said:
I am having the hardest time trying to decide when to get a MacBook Pro, now or wait till June. From what I have read it sounds like all the bugs are worked out in the new rev D of the MBP. What do you think. Will the MacBook (iBook) have a core duo or a single core?
I bought a MacBook Pro which I had to promptly return. Severe lockups, then disk errors - bad hard drive from the git-go. They replaced it, but told me not to open it because "some news" was forthcoming. I mentioned I *really* wanted to save a little money and wait for the iBook replacements and the Apple guy just smiled and said "you'll want to wait before opening this, then".

So, I waited.

And was dejected. I didn't want a mroe expensive, bigger MacBook Pro, I wanted the retail replacement. So, I returned the MacBook Pro and got another iBook. I didn't open it right away. That little voice in the back of my head yelled at me for two days about how stupid and short-sighted I was being.

Ultimately I agreed, and returned the iBook and got the MacBook Pro.

Is your head spinning yet? :)

So, while I really wanted to save a few dollars and get the less expensive iBook replacements, they weren't released and I needed a new notebook. I didn't see the point of the iBook because i wanted the iSight, I wanted the better performance and I wanted the nicer keyboard. So... I have a MBP and I'm loving it. And I get to boot Windows for the ONE application I can't get a Mac version of (yet).

My advice... if you can wait, wait, but not too long. Apple's pretty tight-lipped about product announcements ahead of time.
 
Top