Should I Do It?

Should I be mini-branded?

• Yes, it will fade.

• No, don't be stupid.

• Why do you want to be a shoe brand?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm not dead. I spent all last night looking all over the internet to make sure I'm doing things right. According to ever site out there I've done everything properly on my own. The blisters are going down, but at a very slow pace. I bought bandages (those giant bandaids) and some more gauze, so now the gauze don't move anywhere and it's a lot easier to put on by myself.

No "real" signs of infection. I'm praying it stays that way. ;)

Blisters broke open this morning, that was a scary experience. I'm going to change the gauze later today, and then keep changin them for a few more days, and then I'm supposed to cut off the skin or something?

eh?

I used to race nitro r/c cars, and I've laid my hand down on a hot engine head more then once. I know what those burns feel like, OUCH! I always just left it alone, applyed liberal amounts of neosporen, and gause. The blisteres never poped enmass for me though. The majority of them always just kind of slowly shrunk away...

Yea, these shrunk until they got to the "skin" level (they were just a tiny bit higher) and then I looked again and there was oozy junk and stuff in there.

I really hope this doesn't get infected. I never thought it could, and in all honesty while I was doing it I didn't think I was doing it to this point. But if it does get infected...I've got some choices to make. And this time it won't involve a poll.

If you want to keep it from getting infected wash it out with hyrdogen peroxide, once in the morning when you get up and once in the evening before you go to bed. After washing it out, put neosporen on it and cover with a bandage. Be forewarned, the H2O2 will burn like crazy, but it keeps the infection out. When ever I get burn or work blisters I pop them open and tear the skin off, this keeps dirt from getting trapped underneath the flaps of skin (if and when they pop).

Please remember I'm no doctor.

Blisters usually do break on their own eventually. It's not necessary to remove the loose skin, but you can if its causing problems.

The reason you don't break them right away is that the skin underneath is especially vulnerable. Since you let them break on their own, they had a few days to start healing, so that helps.

Now it's very important to keep that area clean and dry. Hydrogen peroxide is a good antiseptic, and has a reassuring (if stinging) "fizzling" action. Rubbing alcohol can also be used. Gently clean the area and put an antibiotic ointment (like Neosporin) on the blistered area every time you change the bandage - which should be at least once a day. If the bandage gets very damp with pus (oozy stuff) change it again. Also, wash your hands well before you touch the blisters.

If you've gotten this far without an infection, you're doing well. Keep it clean & as sterile as possible, and you'll probably be fine.

That said, do not mess around if an infection does occur.

Well, I guess you could say I saved Trip's life... ask him about it if he's willing to give details.

Branding is tricky; branded cattle don't usually get badly infected, because the branding irons are hot enough that the skin is instantly cauterized - a small patch is actually burnt to a crisp, killing bacteria and flesh alike, and leaving a permanent mark. Not something you want to do to yourself.

Something much cooler (i.e. less hot) might leave only a first degree burn, a temporary reddening of the area, and no blisters - hence a far lower chance of infection.

Alas, this brand seems to have been somewhere in between, temperature wise, causing large blisters.

Exactly. Or...something like that. I woke up and found myself scratching at the bandaid that's covering the gauze...it itches like a scab sometimes itches when it's forming.

And yes Arden literally saved my life.

EDIT: You guys can stop voting for "no" now, it's too late. lol

Saved you - by talking you into seeing a doctor?
Or did he actually drive out to Provo and administer Azithromycin, or something?

He just told me to live, so I did.

Anyway, i'm going to change the gauze in about an hour and take some pictures for you all to enjoy/hate/worship. Which ever you prefer.

And on a side note: people suck.

There's a part of it that keeps opening up, and when I tried to take the gauze off today it got bigger (duh) even though I took it off slow, and it kind of hurts right now. But anyway, I recorded my "changing of the gauze" process if anybody is interested in downloading a large movie file I'll upload it to my server. Anyway, here it is...the o-mighty/not-really-creative/could-kill-me/my-bad brand!

Attachments

• takeitoff!.jpg
    takeitoff!.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 15
I don't see any sign of infection... swealing, or off-colour stuff. It looks fine (minuse the pain, and bleeding). If it gets redder, or you notice wird colour fluids, then you need to go to a doc ASAP. But it looks fine right now.

Back