Should I upgrade?

wtconway

Registered
I have a PowerBook G3 with 192M Ram in it. I was wondering if it is beneficial for me to upgrade to OS X or stay with 9.1 which is on it.

I like what I see about OS X. If it is anything like UNIX, it will be easy since my job is UNIX Administration.

I just dont know if this will allow me to work faster, more efficient, etc.

If any of you have upgraded from 9.1 to OS X on a PowerBook G3, please let me know if it helped you out.

-Travis

What processor speed?
192 MB should be good, though memory is so cheap right now that it cant hurt to get more.
I've heard reports of 10.1 on a 233 powerbook running at the equivalent of a G4 450 in 10.0.

I think that machine will be just fine.
Enjoy X:D

OS X is based on UNIX so exept for some namechanges and so on I would say it´s more or less the same as BSD. Im in to Linux and IRIX and had no problems to get in to OS X. :)

Dissagrements?

Get OS X! After an initial period (a couple of days of adaptation and learning new ways of doing things), you'll like OS X better than OS 9... (and it looks so much better) -- If there are Classic applications you need, they work great in the Classic environment, and you can always reboot with OS 9 to use the few apps that don't work in Classic. I use OS X 97 percent of the time, I only have to reboot to use my scanner (I don't think UMAX is going to develop OS X-native drivers any time soon)...

.......is kind of slow in developing updates for scanners especially the older ones, not only for OS X.

Back