Shutting down Mac Leopard OSX

roderick

Registered
I have an MBP 13.3" running Leo 10.5.7
and I can only force it to shut down. After forcing it to shut down, I can restart it and shut down normally.

So how can I fix this?

Thank you

You might have an app or other process that is preventing a timely shutdown of your Mac.
Try pressing Option-Command-esc to get a Force Quit window. Quit each app in that list, and see if shutdown will then work. That may show what is preventing a simple Shut Down. If nothing is apparent, then open your Activity monitor, where you can see all processes. Do you see a heavy use of the processor?

The more often that you must force your system to shutdown, you may begin to experience problems that are related to directory problems, so be sure to start in single-user mode (hold command-S as you boot) You will see text scrolling down. You can check your hard drive then:
At the prompt - type /sbin/fsck -fy
Then press return or enter. You will see some lines showing that your volume directory is being tested. If you get errors that are corrected - run the same command again until no problems are found. If you see errors that are NOT corrected, then you will need a more capable utility, such as Disk Warrior.
Here's a trick that may often help with slow shutdown - download and reinstall your present combined OS X updater. Here's a link for that: http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_7_Combo_Update

Download, then RESTART your mac before running the installer. Don't do anything else with your Mac while that update installs.

so I have done the first step and no errors! Now I wanted to install the update you gave me, it says that the volume does not meet the requirements for this update. It's the only HD I have!

I think you have the wrong volume selected. You can't install to the installer's disk image, for example
So, you should see a screen called 'Select a Destination'
If you only see 'Standard Install on (your hard drive), then click the Change Install Location button, and then choose your actual hard drive, whatever it is.

If that STILL tells you that you don't meet the requirements, then you may be out of space on your hard drive. The update requires at least 2.3 GB free space available. How much space do you have on your hard drive?

NOTE - if you ARE low on space on your hard drive, then that's probably causing your other issues, or is making those worse....

well it's the only drive I have on my MBP and it's 298 Gb and it's new! Lots of free space around 240 Gb. I repaired the HD premission twice and it is still not letting me install it! Maybe cos I already have the updates installed?

The more often that you must force your system to shutdown, you may begin to experience problems that are related to directory problems, so be sure to start in single-user mode (hold command-S as you boot) You will see text scrolling down. You can check your hard drive then:
At the prompt - type /sbin/fsck -fy

When it started it read:
Singleuser boot -- fsck not done
Root device is mounted read-only

if you want to make modification to files:
/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw

when I do the command you told me about, I get at the end: File system was modified

If the FSCK command ends with that File system was modified, that means that some repairs were completed, so run that same command again, until no problems are found.

Is the 10.5.7 file that you downloaded, named "MacOSXUpd10.5.7.pkg" and NOT "MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.7.pkg" (note the word Combo in the middle) If this is NOT the combo update, then you need the correct combo update, from the link that I provided. The update that does NOT have the word Combo, will not install if you already are updated to 10.5.7 - but the Combo updater WILL install. I think your hard drive may still need repairs, so make sure that FSCK command runs clean...

I had a clean FSCK run! The update is the right one, it is the combo update. But I still have the same problem!

Back