Silly visual menubar glitch

Mikuro

Crotchety UI Nitpicker
This is a silly problem, but...well, it's annoying my delicate sense of aesthetics. ;) It happens in both Panther and Tiger.

When I move the cursor all the way into the top-left corner of my screen, a little black square always appears over the menu bar in that corner (although most of it is covered by the cursor). It disappears when I move the cursor away.

Every now and then, the black square appears on its own, and will stick around forever, until I move the mouse to the corner to cause it to "refresh".

I've attached a picture to clarify.

Does this happen to anyone else? And does anyone know why it happens or how to fix it?

Attachments

• blacksquare.png
    blacksquare.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 56
Wow, I don't get this on my Dual G5 with Apple 17 inch LCD. To me it looks like a dead/dying pixel.

i remember a shareway utility that did something similar to this. I cant remember what it was but it may have been a calculator or something. The black box was a hot-point you could click and get a window up. Its a stab in the dark but fire up activity viewer and see if there and any apps you dont know running. Its not a dead pixel because that wouldn't show up in a screen shot

Satcomer said:
Wow, I don't get this on my Dual G5 with Apple 17 inch LCD. To me it looks like a dead/dying pixel.

It can't be a dead pixel. Dead pixels do not turn up in screenshots ;).

(In my most serious voice...) Not so. I have a dead pixel in my monitor. If I do a grab of the whole screen and then view it at 100%, it shows up exactly in the same place. I think the pixel got killed when I was playing Unreal Tournament. Rocket whores. What can you do?

If profx's and iPenguin's excellent suggestion isn't the case and the screen rendering system works the same way as HTML, I'd say your black box IS the rounded corner, but that that file is now corrupted. I'm guessing the corner is a tiny image that is overlaid on top of a completely rectangular menu bar, which spans the width of the screen. I make tables and boxes with rounded corners exactly the same way. Does this point to a corrupted package? If anyone knows of any techniques to skin the menu bar (I'm sure that if it is possible, someone here's tried it), they might be able to point you to the file that makes that rounded corner. That's a complete guess, though.

I do use Butler, so I guess that's it. I never would've guessed, since I don't use Butler's hot corners feature for anything, and the little black box doesn't DO anything at all. I'll try updating Butler to the latest version later today. If that doesn't fix it, guess I'll just have to endure it. Oh, the pain... ;)

Well, I upgraded Butler, and now my little black square has been replaced by a little blue triangle. Yay! And I finally realized what it does: you can drag files and folders onto it to open up Butler's window. Now all I need to do is figure out why the heck anyone would want to do that. That's the problem with swiss-army-knife utilities like Butler: there are always features that leave you scratching your head.

I don't really care if the blue triangle/black square appears when I move my mouse to the corner, as long as it doesn't randomly appear (and stick) at other times. Time will tell if the new version fixes that issue.

Back