Silver, "spring-type" web link icons "broken"/missing

Syncopator

Registered
This isn't life-or-death, but it's bugging the stew out of me:

I've always liked the silver, "spring"-type web-link icons, but when I switched to OS X a couple of years ago, I never got them! (There may have been one in the dock, at first, but I immediately got rid of most items in the "stock" dock and never saw the "spring" icon again.)

Web links (both in my dock and on the desktop) have always been generic, white documents with a blue ampersand in the middle. (Yawn.) (See attached .jpg of what i get vs. what I'd like to get.)

I actually thought Apple had maybe gotten rid of the spring ones -- until the other day, when I logged in as root to do something, and I noticed -- (what the...?!) -- "root" has a spring icon in his dock, even though I don't! I even created a new web link as root, and sure enough -- a new spring icon!!

So why don't I get them when I'm logged on as me?? (I'm the only user, by the way -- one user/admin account.) What could have possibly "broken" this feature? (Not only that, but I actually reinstalled Panther the other night, so I'm running a fresh system!)

Anyone? I am totally baffled!

Thanks....

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 7
User-created weblinks appear like the "@ document" on the left in your image.

The sping icon on the right, as far as I know, is only used for one thing: a link to some new user documentation by Apple, and it appears in the default Dock setup (like when you first install OS X or create and log in as a new user).

That's the only time I've ever seen that spring icon, and, just like you, the first thing I do if I ever reinstall or makea new user is remove it from the Dock.

While logged in as Root, click on the icon in the dock and select show in finder.
From there, you can select Get Info Click on the icon and copy it.

Now you need to paste it in your home folder on a generic folder. Just create a new folder, go to Get Info, click on the icon, then paste.

Really? OK, I guess that makes sense. I *think* (but I'm not sure) I clicked on that icon in the dock (from root) and went to that web page, then dragged the favicon from that same page back to the dock, which may be why I saw the same icon and thought they'd all work like that.

Too bad that's not the standard web link icon -- it's so much cooler. I wish I could locate that generic icon file (within the system package) and replace it with the spring one. Anyone know where those system icons reside?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
User-created weblinks appear like the "@ document" on the left in your image.

The sping icon on the right, as far as I know, is only used for one thing: a link to some new user documentation by Apple, and it appears in the default Dock setup (like when you first install OS X or create and log in as a new user).

That's the only time I've ever seen that spring icon, and, just like you, the first thing I do if I ever reinstall or makea new user is remove it from the Dock.

Thanks a million for the tip. I had actually already snatched a copy of it. :) Now if I can just locate that generic icon in the system package and replace it with the spring one so the spring one becomes the default.... If you have any tips regarding that, they'd be most welcome. Thanks again....

Cheryl said:
While logged in as Root, click on the icon in the dock and select show in finder.
From there, you can select Get Info Click on the icon and copy it.

Now you need to paste it in your home folder on a generic folder. Just create a new folder, go to Get Info, click on the icon, then paste.

ElDiabloConCaca said:

No, you can have it if you bring the address of a site directly to the dock, without passing through the desktop....

You're right! It works! Thanks.... Now -- how can I replace the bland deskop version with that version? (I don't mean the Info window method; I know that one. I'd like to hack the system so it's permanent.) :)

Tetano said:
No, you can have it if you bring the address of a site directly to the dock, without passing through the desktop....

We use the web link "thingy" in our image to provide a shortcut to afp resources. However, we would like to be able to change the pop-up label of the thingy so that instead of reflecting afp://10.10.10.10/stuff it will say HomeDirectories or some such. I can't believe there isn;t a flat file somewhere that controls the action of the icon as it exists in the dock (cum CDE) but where would one find it, what tools would one use to edit it, etc.)

Back