Simple question: Moving to a new computer?

wicky

play thing
I'm about to ask a very stupid question, but I want to make sure I've got all bases covered…

I'm moving from the UK to the US soon, so selling both my Mac's before leaving in order to benefit from the price difference. However, this means being without a computer for a brief period.

Can somebody give me an idiot's guide to backing up the machines in order to access ALL the info via a new machine, as distinct from backup & restore on the same computer.

I'd like to access my files via a fresh OS install on the new computer (ie. not migrating), and I'm keen to avoid ending up in a situation where I'm locked out of files due to permission or keychain issues.

I'd recommend setting up Time Machine if you haven't done so already. Then when you boot up your new Mac, the Migration Assistant will give you the option to migrate from a Time Machine backup.

Do you by any chance use FileVault to encrypt your home folders? If so, just make sure you don't forget your current login passwords.

I'm in UK but I can second the use of Time Machine.

I use Time Machine anyway for a continuous backup on a 1TB external drive.

Earlier this year we upgraded from a Mac Mini to a 27 inch iMac. I used the Migration Assistant and restored from the Time Machine backup. It was easy. Everything was copied onto my new iMac. That included all the passwords,settings, user accounts - absolutely everything.

I started up the new machine and it was just working as before!! :)

All you need is a hard disk big enough to copy all your stuff onto, and take it with you.

Well I consider just making a clone of your current setup to an external disk. Just when you get the new Mac plug that external (and try to use the same screen name) in the new Mac you can import music, pictures & documents.

Speaking from past experience don't import the network settings. Especially if you are going from one country to another.

On a side note: Make sure you have all your ducks in row before going through the stupid new immigration at US International Airports. They are really becoming jerks to us in the US and might be even more rude to European visitors.

Back