SimpleX Speed question->Answered

swizcore

Help Guide Coordinator
Someone questioned wether or not the SimpleX theme made OSX any speedier. Using the latest; unreleased config of SimpleX, I ran a utility called "Window" which opens and instantly closes 1000 windows. The results are modest but reality. In order to get the most accurate results possible, I ran Aqua restore then logged out and ran a test. Then I ran SimpleX install, logged out and ran the test again. No other apps were running.

System Config-
PowerMac DP G4 500
1.5g of RAM
OSX 10.1.2

Using SimpleX GUI Appearance-

Total time to create and dispose 1000 windows: 49 seconds

Using Aqua GUI Appearance-

Total time to create and dispose 1000 windows: 50 seconds

As I said, the results are modest but every second counts for some(ALL?) users.

SimpleX 1.0 final will be available by January 7th.

one second will never be important to me on a computer. even if that one second loss was repeated 100 times a day.:)

you better hurry up!
I still see mess ups in Preview 2

1. white text on small aqua buttons. aqua?!? why not simplex? (any app that has small aqua buttons)
2. small loading bar needs to have little slashes in it going across or something to show something is actually happening (i see this problem in transmit)
3. disabled radio buttons look funkyfied
4. clicking a little above a scroll arrow (when actually wanting to make the page go down, it think im pressing the scroll up arrow) which is annoying.
5. radio buttons for the message icon on this page (in IE, because omniweb doesnt work somehow here at home on X) are boxes, not round.
6. checked radio buttons still have one pixel out of the circle. hardly noticible but i love eyecandy, so get rid of it! :D

ill find more.

These are all already fixed. I am now just triple checking and adjusting as per request/suggestion.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
one second will never be important to me on a computer. even if that one second loss was repeated 100 times a day.:)

I agree but someone did ask.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell

Actually, no, it won't be repeated 100 times a day. Recall that the utility instantly opens and closes _1000_ windows. So you'll only get the 1 second after you open and close 1000 windows. So that will REALLY never make a difference.

By the way, could you post the URL to the SimpleX preview again? Or at least provide some screenshots.

It is the final of version 1.0. Which means, all resources have been tended to and checked on my test system. The update to this release will merely include fixes regarding any feedback i receive of improper display of any UI elements as well as subtle tweaks and other nuances.

Hmmph----You'd probably lose (or gain) 2% by some slight adjustment to normal system settings, more than this apparent advantage from a slimmed-down skin. I understand partly where you would like to go with this, but 2% is pretty easy to discount with statistical variation. From what I see here, Aqua must be doing pretty good for performance, for all its 'eye candy'(personally, I like it)...:p

Back