singleuser boot

kbulava85

Registered
can anyone help me figure how to disable the single user boot. i used Cocktail and I must have checked that box that enables single user boot because I restarted and now I receive this on a black screen at startup after the white/grey apple screen.

Singleuser boot -- fsck not done
Root device is mounted read-only

If you want to make modifications to files:
/sbin/fsck -dy
/sbin/mount -uw /

If you wish to boot the system, but stay in singleuser mode:
sh /etc/rc
localhost:/ root#

So I would just like to know how I can be able to login and disable this feature of Cocktail, or if I can do it from this screen.

I'm on the pc in another room now. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the quick response. However, the reboot command merely restarts the computer and takes me right back to the same screen rather than the 'Mac OS X Loading...' screen. I think if I could get it to start once, I can run Cocktail and uncheck the box and that should fix the issue. However I don't know unix commands (i think that's what they're called).

Then reboot with the first install disk that can with the computer. However when the first install screen comes up go to the menu items and open Disk Utility. Have Disk Utility repair the disk and repair the permissions also. Then try the regular boot process and see if that works.

Also see if the Mac boots into Safe mode to see if it boots that way. Good Luck.

damn, for some reason i cannot boot off the install disc. the first time i started it held the c button it kept making noise like it was reading it then spit the disc out and started like i explained earlier.

i found this article. And continued to use the fsck -fy command. It reported no errors. So I'm still stuck in single-user mode.

haha yes sir that was it. i went thru 5 technicians over an hr period at applecare to hear that answer. i was able to then switch that feature back to standard and reboot normally. what a pain in the ass. I guess that's what I get for assuming single-user boot mode meant there's only one user account on the computer. I assumed this meant a faster startup time or something. Anyway, problem solved. Now I know better. Thank you all for your help.

It took 5 different techs over a period of an hour before just one of them knew to type exit? Thats kind of sad - award-winning customer service? HA!!!!

Back