Sir Bill Gates??

…the Anti-Christ…!

A lot of people criticise the Royal Family, but this one really takes the cake! If we don't see Hereditary Peerages for Jobs and Woz, I'M EMIGRATING!

:D

I get really hacked off with the British and their attitude to other nations. They refuse to learn other languages, whether through ignorance or arrogance or a combination of both. They jet off on holidays abroad, not prepared even to learn how to say "Hello" in the language of their host country, shouting at the local people ("They just don't understand, do they?") and complaining that it's all so different ("Yer just can't get a decent cuppa in this country!")

Alla är vi inte dumma! Bodde på Linnégatan i många år.

aha! bor 4 minuter från linnégatan sedan tre år! Övre Matrosgatan. uppe på berget just där slottskogen börjar.
Swedish people have to learn other languages (unless we go to Suomi or Norway). i often think about what it would be like to speak your native language on a board like this and have to endure people from all over the world trying to speak your language with varying result. how do you as an english speaking person react to all these strange "aberrations" from your native language? or is the general "internet forum jargon" with all its abbreviations etc making bad writers/speakers of us all so it doesn't really matter? :)

Whoa Knighthood eh? Maybe it's just me but he never seemed to be the warrior type.

billgates.jpg

Then again maybe Britain is still living in the 600 a.d's :p

Maybe the Queen should be given a really heavy sword. That way, when it comes down on him,... ;)

Decado said:
i often think about what it would be like to speak your native language on a board like this and have to endure people from all over the world trying to speak your language with varying result. how do you as an english speaking person react to all these strange "aberrations" from your native language? or is the general "internet forum jargon" with all its abbreviations etc making bad writers/speakers of us all so it doesn't really matter? :)

I guess we all lapse into "internet forum jargon" when we communicate on these things. But I get upset when it spills over into daily life, corrupting the English language. I make a living as a designer/copy-editor of books and nothing makes me more frustrated than seeing "internet forum jargon" creeping into book manuscripts about rock climing and mountaineering.

English-speakers in general and the British in particular are permanently deluged with US television shows, so it's that version of English that becomes the norm. US English should be declared a separate language and the should be a Royal Academy to protect the pure British English langauge. :p

I've lived in Saudi Arabia, Zambia, Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, Spain and Sweden, so I have a very un-British attitude to languages. Personally I don't mind if some of the expressions that come out read strangely. As long as I can understand the meaning, that's what's important. It helps me understand people from other countries and makes me a better person. ::angel::

::ha:: :D

Hey! I'm british! (well Iraqi, but in England)

I agree, most british tourists are awful.

I HATE the royal family, the most pointless family EVER.

Oh, bah! Who cares. Let the guy have his moment of recognition. Like him or not, he's earned a certain amount of recognition and respect.

Wow, good point Captain!

Seriously, never thought of it like that.

Mr Gates did kinda deserve it I guess, for his charity work. But, I don't see many charity workers being recognised for their work like this, no matter how much work they do. Tis a shame.

CaptainQuark said:
I get really hacked off with the British and their attitude to other nations. They refuse to learn other languages, whether through ignorance or arrogance or a combination of both. They jet off on holidays abroad, not prepared even to learn how to say "Hello" in the language of their host country, shouting at the local people ("They just don't understand, do they?") and complaining that it's all so different ("Yer just can't get a decent cuppa in this country!")

Alla är vi inte dumma! Bodde på Linnégatan i många år.

The Germans and French are just as bad. I recently came back from Egypt and part of our trip had 3 days on a cruise boat. There were only our group 12 that wernt French or German.

You could tell they had been to Egypt before but still refused to even try to speak Arabic. My wife and I were there on our first overseas trip and managed to learn enough to make ourselves understood on a basic level.

CaptainQuark said:
So has Osama bin Laden, but I don't think he needs knighting!

I said recognition and RESPECT. There is nothing to respect about that slime. Comparing apples and F150s.

Back