SITE BUGS/REQUESTS: Consolidation Thread

no, that's still not good, it's still got the inherent visual literacy problems, but now it's awkwardly squashed, too!

please, scott, please put the user information back in the left side bar, like every other forum of the net! the width is not the problem, it's just difficult on the eyes, the eye physically has to 'search' down the page for the posts. it's awkward, and backwards. forums default like they do for a reason, it's the way it works, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

i'm not ungrateful, you keep this site on top form, but you need to stop modifying it. it works! really well! and then it changes and doesn't work properly for a couple of weeks.... and then it's back to normal, and then a month later it changes again! it really doesn't need changing. (well, at the moment, it needs changing back ¬_¬)

why do you want this 'wide format' anyway? can't you just make the old style go wide as well without it being really horrible?

sorry. i'd not found the right checkbox.... ¬_¬

thank you! it's fine now. please don't delete this setting though.

<3

I'm glad to have the old way back. I think you ought to move the option into the "Options" section. The first thing I did when I saw the new way was look for an option, but I never would have found it under "profile", because...well, it has nothing to do with my profile!

Scott, I love this new tighter look! It works much better than before on my eyes. It's also much easier to read the text on the page. I'm also glad you gave us an option to use the column view for threads. Thanks! :)

I posted the problem on the first page of this thread. I will say it again. When most users go to the "Desktop Backgrounds" of the Gallery and try to view larger images, this error comes up

Satcomer, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

This happens only in the "Desktop Backgrounds" part of the Gallery.

Here's the worst case yet of overlapping text. Same setup as I mentioned before: Safari, 10.4.4, minimum font size 15. See attached image.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    10 KB · Views: 14
I can't help it if you modify your browser to display the page in a way it was not designed.

Here is how it looks on ALL browsers with default settings.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 10
You also might want to send a similar complaint to news.com, as when I increase my font size in my browser their site looks horrible.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    225 KB · Views: 9
ScottW said:
I can't help it if you modify your browser to display the page in a way it was not designed.
Well, I didn't 'modify my browser'. I configured a standard option in Safari — an option present in all modern web browsers. Do you really think it's okay to demand that your users all use the same settings YOU like to use?

news.com looks just fine on my end, because it has some reasonable wiggle room in its design, as every site should. It's very frustrating that you and many designers are so reluctant to take the minor effort to accomodate your users.

It's just not reasonable to expect a user to change so much just for your site. The web is user-centric by nature.

And I'll say it again: Text is made for reading. :)

Edit: I hope you don't think I'm singling you out with this kind of complaint. I do indeed send similar reports to just about any site that has such problems. The latest that springs to mind is fulltiltpoker.com. Some have since fixed the problem to accomodate such "unknowns".

All in all, the problems that arise from this incompatibility on this site are pretty minor. It's just that I am, as I say with every post I make, a crotchety UI nitpicker. :eek: I love this site, and I greatly appreciate the effort you put in. We just have very different philosophies when it comes to web design.

Mikuro said:
Well, I didn't 'modify my browser'. I configured a standard option in Safari — an option present in all modern web browsers. Do you really think it's okay to demand that your users all use the same settings YOU like to use?

These debates never have an ending, that is for sure. :)

I think it's interesting that last week they came out and said that in less time than a blink of an eye, people judge a website. When they feed through the same websites to people in the course of the test... they will judge the websites the same way as they did previously.

What they learned, is that there is no obvious reason why people chose what they did like or didn't. It didn't really line up with anyone else in the test. There observation was, everyone was different and it why we don't all drive the same cars, have the same type of house and interior design.

Obviously, I am going to design something that I personally like. Not everyone is going to like it. I can take feedback, such as "the site is too wide" and consider those things when I rebuild the site. Some things are done purely based on personal preferences, some are limited by the requirements of what is to be displayed on the page and outside input on previous designs.

As for it being a "standard" option in every modern browser to set your font size, yes, you are correct on that observation. Just as it is a option on every iMac G5 system to adjust the performance of your CPU. The last thing Apple wants to hear, is someone to complain the machine is slow when they run it at the slower speed. Why? Just because it's an option, doesn't mean you have to use it.

Some people have various requirements for increasing font sizes, this could be because of visual impairment or personal preference. While what you do with your browser is your choice... realize that expecting everyone to conform to your preference or impairment is nothing short of rude. If I am on a low-carb diet and a bunch of guys want to go to get Krispy Creams... it would be very rude of me to say... Hey, Im on a low-carb diet, we ALL can't eat there. This is not fair to everyone else. I can either choose to go and not eat, or not go at all. I surely won't file a complaint with Krispy Cream on their lack of low-carb options.

Anyhow... I hear what you are saying... I just sometimes don't understand the motive. For me, understanding motivation is 90% of the issue. If I can understand why someone feels the way they do (even if I disagree) I can at least empathize with them. If I can find logic in the motivation then I find it hard to relate.

For example... people get upset when I send out emails announcing this or that with the site. They say... "If only you'd put up a link or something to notify us, that would be much better." Well, the motivation for the email is not because I like spamming people (I'd rather not) but the motivation in doing so is a simple link doesn't work - sending out an email to the mass, does work. While you may disagree with me sending out a mass email, you would be hard pressed to deny what the numbers show.

Many have said, If *I* was President, I would have made a different choice. The fact is, if you where indeed the President and had access to the same information that he did at the time he did and the advice he was given, you very well may have made the same decision as the President. Hindsight is all 20/20.

Anyhow. I am way off-topic... but again... thanks for your input.

The spelling of "Cocoa" in the explanation section of the Software Programming & Web Scripting forum is incorrect ("Coco").

The unordered list feature doesn't seem to work properly.

When you click the button, the window pops up and [ LIST ] in the text box. But as soon as you type the first list item and click OK, the [ LIST ] is deleted and replaced with the first item. Then when you type tyhe second item in the window and click OK, the first item is deleted and replaced by the second, and so on.

using Safari 2.0.3

Well it looks like you have a bug (Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (not well-formed (invalid token) at line 58, column 15) in /home/httpd/vhosts/macosx.com/httpdocs/includes/rss_fetch.inc on line 238) on the MacOSX.com title page.

Well since my last post the problem was fixed. That is until today March 24. The same RSS error is back on the title page.

Update: About 25 minutes later the error at the top of the page went away again.

The result I get when going to the gallery as nothing to do with what I used to get, furthermore I am unable to click any part of it like : last upload; last post; images and so on ?

Am I missing something ?

Attachments

• Gallery.pdf
    48.7 KB · Views: 4
Yes, the site is broke in a lot of places. Instead of putting bandaids on everything, I am working on fixing everything and we should have a new code base live on the site by June 1.

Back