sleep mode on macbook pro

linux_cat

Registered
I never used to switch my powerbook off, just used to close the lid and let is sleep until i wanted to use it again...

Now i recently got a new macbook pro and have treid the same strategy, but it doesnt quite work the same. Its very sensitive in sleep mode, sometimes i have to close the lid numerous times for it to enter sleep mode, and others when its in sleep mode, if i try and move it, immediatly come out of sleep mode even when the lid is closed....!!!

is anyone else having similair problems.??

Sounds not as intended. It _should_ go to sleep when you close the lid (maybe have to wait a couple of seconds?) and certainly shouldn't wake up unless the lid is reopened or a USB device is added/removed while sleeping...

Does your MacBook go to sleep properly when you manually select Sleep from the Apple menu? (including the sleep LED blinking as normal)

If manual sleep seems to work fine, and you are having problems with sleeping when you close the lid, the MacBook needs service.

cheers guys, i will test it a little more when i get home..then get the good old mac guys to come pick it up and give it a little seeing too!!!

yer my MBP very occaisionally does something weird when i close the lid to put it to sleep...

i like putting my MBP to sleep, but when i have it at home and im trying to get some sleep, the white light at the front keeps pulsing from light to dark all the time, its annoying. Is it possible to stop it from doing this? (at the moment i have to put something in front of it)

cmactrix said:
... i like putting my MBP to sleep, but when i have it at home and im trying to get some sleep, the white light at the front keeps pulsing from light to dark all the time, its annoying. Is it possible to stop it from doing this? (at the moment i have to put something in front of it)

You can:
Wake it up
Shut it off
It's sleeping, so you can put in a drawer, box, bag, or turn it around so the light is facing in a different direction.
The little eye-patch that someone has figured out (to put over the isight camera) might also work to cover the sleep light.

I have the exact same problem... MacBook Pro goes to sleep fine if I put it to sleep manually. It turns off the monitor, but doesn't go to sleep if I close the cover.

Really annoying - I keep my laptop in my backpack, and it gets really hot, and of course drains the battery.

As long as you can make your mac sleep from the Apple menu, then this utility will work for your sleep problems.
In fact it was born out of the need for a cure to sleep problems in Mac laptops.
It is not universal code yet, but does work fine on Intel macs, I use it all the time on my Intel mini and my G4 laptop.
Check it out here...

http://slicedapple.ath.cx/nmsutility.html

your milage may vary.....
jb.

I experienced the same problem - I think it's due to oversensitive latches on the new Macbook Pro's.

Mine would turn on by itself as soon as you tilited it in a particular axis (front to back) this was after the latch light indicated it was in sleep mode (slow blinking).

I got round this by setting an option not to wake when the lid opens, this just means you have to press a key for it to wake.

Open a terminal window and use the pmset command to turn off the wake on lid opening option.

sudo pmset -a lidwake 0

A value of 0 turns it off, 1 turns it back on.

It's obviously a fault but I cannot be bothered to send it back for that and the option works well to avoid accidental lid openings and the cook in the bag fun that can follow.

Back