Slight System Speed Inrcrease

scope

Registered
I just found this out, and although you may not notice much of a speed up, it's there. In the terminal, type "sudo update_prebinding -root /" It pre-binds commonly used libraries to speed everything up. I set it up as a cron job to do it automatically every week.

Normally, when an application starts, it has to first find the location of all of the libraries it needs. This can take time, and will cause the application to load slower. Updating the prebindings will record all of the links between applications and libraries. This will speed application launch, but will probably not speed up your system very much (except for application launch).

Its probably not worth running update_prebinding on a regular basis. this only needs to be done once, until more applications are installed. This system is 'prebound' to begin with (though it wasn't with earlier versions of OSX -- which is why this command started circulating). Also, I believe when the Installer app says its optimizing things at the end of an install, it is actually running update_prebinding. So its probably not worth the worry of manually updating things.

Yes, the "optimizing performance" at the end means that prebinding is being done. However, this only happens with X-style installers. AFAIK, if you install a new program by dragging off a disk image or running a VISE installer, running the prebinding command again is a good idea.

I just ran the pre-binding command, and it found no files that were not pre-bound. However, it said that I had 919 files that may need to be re-prebound, and it re-prebound 18 of them.

So I suppose it was worth running manually. I've installed a few apps that didn't go through an "optimizing performance" stage.

OS X rawks! How cool is it that we can run things like this in the terminal? Mac OS never had this sort of power before. All the same, I don't even have to touch the terminal if I don't want to...

But Unix is so damn cool...it's just got a coolness factor that's way higher than DOS for some reason--probably because Unix is so much more powerful. Unix haxxors abound, but how many bad-ass dos hackers are there?

I JUST GOT MY OS X.0.4(GETTING 10.1 ON SAT) AND I SEE ALOT OF PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT TERMINAL. I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IT IS AND SINCE YOU GUYS OR GIRLS SEEM TO KNOW ABOUT IT THEN IF YOU COULD PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IT IS AND WHAT I CAN DO WITH IT. YOU CAN EITHER REPLY HERE OR SEND ME A EMAIL AT ERIC.BRIAN2@VERIZON.NET (SORRY FOR THE CAP LOCKS BUT 4 GOT TO TURN THEM OFF IM NOT SCREAMING JUST USED TO HAVING IT ON)

It's in the /Applications/Utilites folder. It basically allows you to interface with the core itself rather than go through the Aqua interface. I find that everytime I do this, it finds about 1800 files that need to be pre-bound and about 700 that need to be re pre-bound. And please, DON'T post in all caps.

Sounds like the 'ol 'desktop rebuild' we all had to do time to time in pre-OS X days...

Gave it a shot and it seems better, for what it's worth.

Cheers.

I tried doing this and it only actually prebound like 40 of my applications, told me it could do all of them for some reason. I figure that's prolly not the best sign.. in any event do you tihnk this falls under the mind over matter category? Cuz the few things it did manage to prebind didn't really seem to be any faster.

i tried to do this while logged in as root and it didnt work.... i typed "sudo update_prebinding -root/" without the quotations... is this right? it just went to the next terminal line for me...

read that in MacAddict eh?

Good Mag, got the December one yesterday that tells about 5 ways to make a top-speed mac.
Has a train on the front
=]

The Disc is pretty cool in this issue too.

Uh guys...when I type in the console I get this:

"We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these two things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.

Password:"

And my password is nothing, so I usually just press enter. But when I do it doesn't say anything, just takes me back to a new line. Any help?

I believe just hitting return when sudo asks for a password is a way of telling it never mind so you probably need to have some password to get sudo to work.

Trip - Do a search on the boards on enabling root user. The password that you specify there is the password that you'll use when prompted by sudo. Personally I log in as su, and just exit it when I'm done doing what I'm doing.

:eek: BTW, if I had no idea about anything *nix I wouldn't run around the machine deleting things in su mode. ;)

Hey thanks twyg!
I just spent the last 30 minutes watching my computer do the prebinding. 899 files it says, 899 files. :)
I did notice a small speed boost in my system, so thanks! Only problem: how do I log out off root mode or whatever?

When in su mode your terminal line should be something like:
[localhost:/Users/twyg] root#

At that point just type "exit" (Minus the quotes of course)

Now you'll get the regular
[localhost:~] twyg%

That's it. If you logged all the way in using the GUI, simply logout. Also, you could just close the terminal window running in su mode ;)

funny... i just get this:

[localhost:~] boertje% sudo update_prebinding -root /
Password:
Bus error
[localhost:~] boertje%

Now what is this supposed to mean?

lol
I feel like using windows or classic ;)
a reboot did it. No bus error an 881 re-prebound files. Although some weren't able to be re-prebound and the stats ins the end seemed to show wrong numbers...who cares - shouldn't give a great boost anyway...

Back