Slow Tiger

JERRYNIMBUS

Registered
Hi
I am going crazy I am running an imac5,1 intel core 2 duo (2.16 GHz with 1G memory) with mac osx 10.4.7.

It started running really slow about a month ago .I have re-installed from the original discs but no change .When opening more than 1 application it slows up so much (ie un zipping a file of downloading from ITunes etc).Transfering files to a external hard disc is OK but getting them back takes about 10 times the time .
Everything comes up with the spinning circle.
The company I bought it from seems to think I need to upgrade the memory but it was alright 1 month ago so what good would buying new memory do?
Can the memory corrrupt if so how can I check it (System profile says bank 0 and bank 1 is OK)

Please someone help it is driving me mad.

Thanks Jerry

Hi and welcome on macosx.com forums Jerry.

Free hard space
What about the free space on your drive ? Tiger is able to request up to 8G (check in my config PPC) for swapping memory onto files, especially if many applications are opened on the same time.
So, one say that keeping at least 15% of your hard drive, with a minimum of 10G is a good healthy decision !

Applications (and the System) creates caches which can be very huge
Do you already using tools like Cocktail/Onyx to clean application caches ?
http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/index.php
http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/onyx_tiger.html

Still 1G memory (memory board can defect) ?
In the AppleMenu > About This mac, do you still see your 1GB Ram ?

A background process eating the power of the machine ?
Could you launch Applications/Utilities/ActivityMonitor
Do you a application requesting a big charge in CPU ?

Regards
Phil

I have rebooted and have loads of free space also it is showing 1G in my apple menu.
The activity monitor is not showing anything unusual.

Thanks for the quick response any comments are welcome

Thanks again

Jerry

Ok.
Could you test again after having disconnect any devices, including Web access modems/routers
Yes, you, the imac, the kb and the mouse. That's all.
Take time to perform the test and post back.

By the way, what about the suggestion of using caches cleaning tools ?
Phil

I have similar problem with my MacBook pro. 1G of memory is just not enough. I have been told that too many times so its time to move up.
good luck

Back