Smart Boxes no longer work; email slow; flags are gone

TuckerdogAVL

Registered
Very strange. Only correlation I can see is I upgraded to Monterey on Friday. So, the new rabbit hole, is suddenly the email has gone wonky. Smart Boxes don't work, and clicking from box to box, shows same number of emails available (let's say 8000) no matter what I click on.

Then, I discovered that the SMTP for Gmail had vanished. I always love the "select a server from the list below" and the one you want doesn't exist.

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 11.02.41 AMEST.png

It apparently did, since I've had the email account and have used it for about 10 years, but poof not now. I deleted the gmail and then added it back.

Then, this hurdle appeared. See attached).

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 11.10.08 AMEST.png

I remembered, 'maybe I did leave the Mail open on the Laptop.' I logged in (Spouse and I share a laptop), checked, and lo and behold I had. Turned that off, logged off, went back to the mac mini.

I checked with myself (as system administrator) and I/he saw that now the flags are gone as well. The mystery of the vanishing email system.

Clicked on rebuild ... doesn't seem to do anything. .... please wait ..... please wait ...

In the meantime:

And I was sending an email to a colleague when I started this post ... and according to the little "sending" line, it's about halfway thru. It's one paragraph.

Now what? I seem to have a great track record with OS upgrades. When I upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur, the entire system crashed (and I was using a "just simply" TM backup), and had to get it to the shop for $225.

Thanks for any help.
Don't know if there's a way to reinstall the Mail (I guess I could go backwards in TM maybe?) Or, if there's something I'm missing.
I also got a "can't get there from here" library notice yesterday. Also attached. From Microsoft Office (I assume is totally unrelated, but sharing anyway).
Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 12.32.41 PMEST.png
GJ

Try a restart. It could be that not all components were installed.
How did you install, direct from software update or did you do an install using Monterey on a separate disk (flash drive) ?

Try a restart. It could be that not all components were installed.
How did you install, direct from software update or did you do an install using Monterey on a separate disk (flash drive) ?
I installed from the software update. After the log out, and log back in, the email seems to becoming back. Most are gmail accounts (I have five) but one is a branded biz account. We're downloading "2,1066 of 31,663" messages right now after I deleted the one gmail account and added it back in. The SMTP came back as well. So, I'll wait and see if the smart boxes and flags also come back. I'll do a restart after the 32000 emails load. I can flag mail, but nothing appears in the flagged as of yet. And the number of emails under each smart box is now 3,150 across the board. That changes too. I'll keep you posted. Yes, I've done restart a couple times on the computer. Do you mean a re-load of Monterey? Oh, and everything just seems to load sluggishly. I guess it's still "learning." LoL PS I've turned off wifi on the iPad and iPhone so mail isn't confused for the moment as well. I'll do a synch later. Latest attached. I've discovered that using the attach files doesn't work. But choosing the image to insert does.

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 12.21.17 PMEST.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-08 at 12.21.27 PMEST.png

Last edited:
email "numbers" are showing up in the flag, but if I click on the flag, the window is blank and the number disappears. The number comes back after awhile. Then nothing... downloading ended.

In Mail today I had to go into it's Preferences and server setting toggle and turn on iCloud send sever again! Somehow it turn it turned itself off!

In Mail today I had to go into it's Preferences and server setting toggle and turn on iCloud send sever again! Somehow it turn it turned itself off!
I can't turn on iCloud. If I try, I get a "set up your email" and I don't need an iCloud.come email account.

I think you need to start over... download Monterey, but don't let it install (quit it before it installs.
Go here for the instructions on how to make a bootable installer. You will need a USB flash drive or other secondary volume formatted as Mac OS Extended, with at least 14GB of available storage.

How to make a bootable installer

Thanks. I probably would have done this if it eventually didn't work itself out. It might be because there were over 40000 emails and everything had to repopulate. I just kept hitting rebuild, sync, I did go into privacy and accessibility and just started checking things, click things. I did delete the one gmail account and then reload it. I didn't have to change the other one. I also turned off the wifi connections to the phone and the iPad for awhile while this was all going on. All those reboots, uninstall/reinstall gmail, syncs, rebuilds must have finally worked as everything seems to be running again. And the Gmail smtp restored. That could have been part of the issue. I didn't make a note of them, but there were a couple accounts in the System Prefs that didn't have boxes checked and I thought they should have been. And, there was one point where both the gmail accounts had mysteriously changed to where mail, contacts were unchecked. All that worked. Basically played around with it for about three hours then just let it do whatever it had to in the background. As you know, sometimes that's best. "First do no harm." :cool:

I think you need to start over... download Monterey, but don't let it install (quit it before it installs.
Go here for the instructions on how to make a bootable installer. You will need a USB flash drive or other secondary volume formatted as Mac OS Extended, with at least 14GB of available storage.

How to make a bootable installer
I've tried in the past to create a bootable installer and have never had any luck. I miss something. I'll try again for practice, but I attempted to create a bootable installer on my laptop for Big Sur when the Big Sur on the MacMini stalled out. And I got no where.

Sat...that's what I discovered when I was trying to figure all this out. My Gmails were turned off. Might be why nothing was loading. :cool:

Sat...that's what I discovered when I was trying to figure all this out. My Gmails were turned off. Might be why nothing was loading. :cool:

You should dump the Google Box and go with Google is at War with Apple right now! So get your own Web site Domain and set that up in Mail! that would be better for you without the all the same/marketing!

You should dump the Google Box and go with Google is at War with Apple right now! So get your own Web site Domain and set that up in Mail! that would be better for you without the all the same/marketing!
I have my own domain name. I use it for some things. I'm semi retired and use it for freelance gigs. The thing is, the reason I have the Gmail accounts, is over the years, they have been the most stable. I had to switch host providers a few times in the past decade because the website domain mail accounts would get hacked or not work or go wonky. I still have a charter account specifically set up for junk mail, two gmails and the branded. :cool: PS Not exactly sure what you are talking about re: dump the Google Box and go with Google is at War with Apple. Not sure what that means. Later.

I have my own domain name. I use it for some things. I'm semi retired and use it for freelance gigs. The thing is, the reason I have the Gmail accounts, is over the years, they have been the most stable. I had to switch host providers a few times in the past decade because the website domain mail accounts would get hacked or not work or go wonky. I still have a charter account specifically set up for junk mail, two gmails and the branded. :cool: PS Not exactly sure what you are talking about re: dump the Google Box and go with Google is at War with Apple. Not sure what that means. Later.

See the Apple TV+, YouTube TV, Android TV and yes they at War with each other! Plus in Domain Mail you now can How To Set Up Custom Email Domains with iCloud Email! This might turn you from Gmail!

I've never set up the iCloud because, like loyalty cards at grocery stores, ace hardware, cvs, walgreens etc etc. I had reached my limit. But I get it. I have a couple friends that only use the iCloud mail and a branded. I'll check it out again.

Back