Snapped audio cable

The Doctor

Registered
I have ... an odd problem to say the least.

My audio cable snapped and the end bit of it is stuck in my audio port on my MacBook Pro. I'm not actually that bothered about getting out, although I do want it out obviously. I'm trying to find a way to force the Mac to use the internal speakers.

I don't think there's any way to 're-direct' the audio to your internal speakers, when the internal speakers are electrically disconnected by that stub of a connector.

Sometimes successful for this: (use at your own risk)
super-glue a small rod to that stub in the audio jack. Be careful that you use only enough to glue the two pieces together - you don't want to have a piece of rod sticking out the side permanently. Give it a few minutes to set. It might hold good enough to pull the stub out.

Thank you for the quick reply DeltaMac, who would think that a feature would turn into my worse nightmare? :-(

I was actually thinking about doing that before hand, that might be an idea, but one in my "maybe" pile.

You _could_ use external speakers, by using a USB audio adapter like an iMic. There's others that work, but the iMic is the only one that I have ever used.

I'll also say that the superglue trick has worked for me only once, with about 5 tries on different Macs.

I have used a USB audio adapter before on an iMac, but it's a bit too much of a bother on my MacBook Pro. Is there no software solution for my problem?

UPDATE - I found a weird solution to my problem. I used a program called LineIn and even though, the function of the App is of no use to me, it has an interesting side effect. It forces the use of the internal speakers

Back