Snow leopard 10.6.8 take too much time to boot & desktop freezes for 5 minutes

multirange

Registered
i am new to macbook, dont know much about mac.

i have a problem with my Macbook a1342

i have installed Snow leopard 10.6 normally. When i start MB after installation it takes too much time to boot around 1 minute and 50 seconds then desktop appears and its freezes for almost 4 5 minutes. then i upgrade it to 10.6.8

same issue with 10.6.8.

tried repair disk permission but still same issue

please help me in this it already wasted my 3 days

The FIRST boot after reinstalling OS X can take an abnormally long time, perhaps several minutes.
That should improve after two or three restarts, and I would expect your MacBook to boot and be ready to use, usually within about 30-40 seconds total.

After booting, and waiting for that initial few minutes, does your MacBook continue to have very slow operation, or even extended pauses - when you see the spinning wheel?

Boot to the installer, then choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
Run Repair Disk (not Repair Disk Permissions), which should take, at the most, a couple of minutes to complete.
If there are any errors, run Repair Disk again, until no errors are found - or the same error continues to be reported.

Very slow operation, especially on a newly installed (and restarted) system, can often indicate serious problems with the hard drive. Replacing the hard drive is fairly simple to do - and you could also consider replacing the hard drive with an SSD. That upgrade to an SSD would make an enjoyable difference in performance, particularly in boot time and launching your apps (much faster than your hard drive could ever possibly work)

Were you already having problems BEFORE you reinstalled OS X?

The FIRST boot after reinstalling OS X can take an abnormally long time, perhaps several minutes.
That should improve after two or three restarts, and I would expect your MacBook to boot and be ready to use, usually within about 30-40 seconds total.

After booting, and waiting for that initial few minutes, does your MacBook continue to have very slow operation, or even extended pauses - when you see the spinning wheel?

Boot to the installer, then choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
Run Repair Disk (not Repair Disk Permissions), which should take, at the most, a couple of minutes to complete.
If there are any errors, run Repair Disk again, until no errors are found - or the same error continues to be reported.

Very slow operation, especially on a newly installed (and restarted) system, can often indicate serious problems with the hard drive. Replacing the hard drive is fairly simple to do - and you could also consider replacing the hard drive with an SSD. That upgrade to an SSD would make an enjoyable difference in performance, particularly in boot time and launching your apps (much faster than your hard drive could ever possibly work)

Were you already having problems BEFORE you reinstalled OS X?

takes time at spinning wheel , also tale too much time at blue screen.

how to run Repair Dis as i can't click on Repair Disk button ?

i have installed windows 7 without boot camp before SL but then i install SL and issues started

You can't run the Repair Disk while you are booted to your Snow Leopard system.
You have to boot to the Snow Leopard installer (that's the DVD with the Snow Leopard on the label :D )
You'll click through to the installer screen, but run Disk Utility. It's in the Utilities menu.
Be sure to click on your OS X partition, as you can't use that Disk Utility to repair the Windows partition.
And, then Repair Disk will be selectable.

Boot Camp main purpose is to let you create a proper boot partition for installing Windows. The result is not always perfect, but the goal for using Boot Camp is to END UP with a hard drive that allows you to easily boot to either Windows or OS X. I suspect that if you used some other method to install Windows, then that may be why your OS X is not booting easily.
What did you use to help create the bootable partition? Another popular choice is rEFIt. Is that what you used?

Back