Snow Leopard Chews Up Wireless Broadband Cards

midijeep

Registered
Snow Leopard Chews Up Wireless Broadband Cards
Richard Martin
11/13/2009

If you’re a Mac user and you’ve bought a new machine lately, or you’ve upgraded your operating system, you’re using the OS X “Snow Leopard” platform from Apple (AAPL). And if you’re in Britain and use a mobile broadband “dongle,” as they say in the U.K., you’re hosed.

Reports emerged this week that thousands of Mac users are unable to use their mobile broadband dongles – known on this side of the pond as USB sticks or wireless cards – will not work with the latest version of the Macintosh operating system.

“We’ve uncovered bugs that stop a range of USB dongles working with Apple’s latest OS,” reported the ElectricPig tech news site. “It’s been just over two months since OS X Snow Leopard was released, accompanied by howls of anguish from users packing a mobile broadband dongle.”

Apparently the problem is that Snow Leopard doesn’t recognize the wireless devices because it lacks the appropriate drivers, which were included in earlier versions of the OS.

The unrecognized devices include USB sticks from ISPs 3, T-Mobile, Vodafone plc and O2. All of them are manufactured by Huawei.

"If you use the Mobile Broadband USB Stick 120 or USB Stick 620, you should not use this with MAC OS X 10.6,” said a statement on the T-Mobile tech support site. “It is currently incompatible and can cause serious issues with system stability."

Neither Huawei nor Apple has thus far commented on the issue, but the network providers have scrambled to provide fixes. ElectricPig reported this morning that it has tracked down solutions from all of the affected service providers.

This tells me once Snow Leopard came out these developers for the cellular wireless cards didn't update their drivers. I could understand a small delay when Apple released 10.6 a couple of weeks early but this is getting getting ridiculous. After three months and these devices still don't have driver for their devices? How is this Apple's fault?

T Mobile Broadband dongles don't work in the UK however T mobile Germany have produced a download that fixes the problem for their customers fortunately it also works with UK dongles fixed my problems and now back on line with my new macbook. hope you find this useful

Back