Snow Leopard won't find my printer

jackalope

Registered
I just upgraded to Snow Leopard OS. But now it's not finding my printer. Everything's plugged in. How do I get the connection back?

Thanks.

What brand and model printer do you have?
How is it connected to your Mac? (USB, or ethernet, or wireless, or something else)
Or, is it a shared printer, and attached to another computer?

Go to your System Preferences, then to Print & Fax
Is your printer listed there?

Is the printer turned on?
Check in the Apple Menu/About this Mac
Click on More info from that window, which will open your System Profiler
Click on the USB tab from the list.
Is your printer listed there? If not, recheck that it is both turned on, and that both ends of the USB cable are plugged in firmly.
Press Command-R to refresh that device list. If your printer appears there, that's good...
RESTART your Mac.
Return to your Print & Fax pane. If your printer now appears - Go to your Apple menu, and choose Software Update.
Install any update for HP printers that show there.

Or, alternatively:
Download and install the full HP driver set that Apple supplies.
It's here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

If the printer appears in the pane, but just doesn't seem to print properly - remove the printer from the pane, and re-add it.

on an unrelated note:
I've got a picture of my kids sitting on the back of a jackalope at Wall Drug. You wouldn't know anything about that, right?

On a RELATED note:
I see that the Deskjet 5150 (and the 5100 series) has no drivers from HP after 10.5
I found a hint that the Deskjet 5400 series does work with the 5150, so you would need to manually select that driver for the printer, and, perhaps it will not appear as the correct model, but I'm not sure about that.

Go to your System Preferences, then to Print & Fax
Is your printer listed there?

Is the printer turned on?
Check in the Apple Menu/About this Mac
Click on More info from that window, which will open your System Profiler
Click on the USB tab from the list.
Is your printer listed there? If not, recheck that it is both turned on, and that both ends of the USB cable are plugged in firmly.
Press Command-R to refresh that device list. If your printer appears there, that's good...
RESTART your Mac.
Return to your Print & Fax pane. If your printer now appears - Go to your Apple menu, and choose Software Update.
Install any update for HP printers that show there.

Or, alternatively:
Download and install the full HP driver set that Apple supplies.
It's here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

If the printer appears in the pane, but just doesn't seem to print properly - remove the printer from the pane, and re-add it.

on an unrelated note:
I've got a picture of my kids sitting on the back of a jackalope at Wall Drug. You wouldn't know anything about that, right?

Going down your list, everything was there, and I did all the updates. Still didn't work.
So I downloaded the new printer drivers. Still didn't work.
So I removed the printer from the pane and put it back...and it worked!
You da man!

Thanks so much for the help, and may the spirit of the Great Jackalope keep you and your family well.

It's an HP Deskjet 5150 connected directly via USB. Nothing has changed except the OS upgrade.
Your printer maybe no longer supported by HP, but it is supported by Linux Foundation's OpenPrinting Project under Apple's CUPS system. The driver is available for download here.

Back