So, in your experience, what went wrong in the Macs?

nope, and it's really ugly. don't want to post any pix. but there were a lot of pix around when this problem first cropped up about a month after the MacBook's introduction. I'm told Apple will simply replace the top and keyboard under warranty - but I can't part with my MacBook for the 2 weeks I'm told it takes. :/ ... I have to find some way before the warranty runs out, though.

AFAIK they've fixed the yellowing Macbooks by replacing the palm rest with different material. And you can get yours fixed for free by Apple. I don't really think there are too many problems compared to the PPC Macs. The PPC laptops always had some problems too so they weren't perfect. I haven't really heard anyone having problems with the Mac Pro either.

The C2D MBPs are really pretty cool when you're not taxing the cpu much. They do get somewhat warm under load but no more than the G4 Powerbooks did.

It's a bit of a "plus/minus=zero" in my book. Sure the start-up time is shorter, but the new machines are dog slow waking from sleep. If my macbook goes to sleep with less than 10% charge on the battery, I usually need to restart to get it moving again. I _never_ had to do that on my iBook.

Yes, but 2.5 seconds is longer than the 0.5 it took my TiBook/500 back then. ;) ... It's still fast enough for me, though.

yeah - the iBook woke on opening the lid - before I could get my hands on the keyboard. And even the macBook beats a Toshiba we have at work - it takes as much as a minute to be ready to go.

But it's all a bit of a sideline to the thread - What went wrong? Nothing really.

I think the difference between the Power PC Macintosh and the Intel Macintosh is design. The hardware design went through many changes in 1998 thru 2005.

We had the tray loading iMac, the slot loading iMac, the Flat Panel iMac, and the iMac G5. All of which had completely different designs. Even the Mac Mini was different.
Then there was the Power Mac G3, the Power Mac G4, Power Mac G4 Cube, and Power Mac G5.
Finally, the laptop line had three distinct changes: Powerbook G3/iBook G3 Clamshell, Powerbook G4 Titanium/iBook G3 Icebook, and iBook G4/Powerbook G4 Aluminum.

The new Mac line has a Macbook, Macbook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro, and Mac Mini. This is great but there was minimal changes to the design of these machines besides the addition of new ports, placement of those ports, and wider/bigger screens. The laptops are thin and the iMac is slimmer but the buzz about them is not as big as it was. I remember when Apple released the Titanium Powerbook and it was 'the next big thing'. People described it as 'sexy'. No one called a PC 'sexy' or even 'cool'.

I guess the main reason for them *not* to change the designs too much while in the intel transition was to not give the idea of those not being Macs or something like that. The iMac very nicely showed that it looked the same, worked the same etc. - but faster.

One year later now... They _can_ start to change designs. The question probably is: Does it make _sense_ to change the designs. Other than a short-lived wow-effect, I mean...

If you are talking about short lived 'wow' from the Mac user base than the iMac G4 hit the mark. There is always room for improvement and Apple proved it when they released the iMac G5 in September 2004. Walt Mossberg labeled that design as the "Gold Standard of desktop computing" and PC Magazine gave the iMac G5 a 5 out of 5. The only change was its thickness which is about the same from my point of view. Suprisingly, the editors from PC Magazine actually gave the iMac a 4.5 out of 5 when Apple went intel. Maybe they wanted a new design also.

The second generation of the iMac G3 did well and there were a total of four major revisions. This pattern has continued all the way to the Intel Core 2 Duo. So we can expect to see two more revisions and a new design but it is Apple's call.

I'd say that overall Apple quality control has been sliding since they moved operations to the Chinese mainland from Taiwan a few years ago.
Workers in China are most often horribly and mercilessly exploited, with pathetically meager wages -very long workdays in nasty, high pressure environments - crowded, unhealthy and expensive living conditions - health care unavailable/unaffordable for hundreds of millions - and no union protection.:( :mad:
Can one really expect quality work from people living/working under those conditions?
No doubt, most of Apple's management and CEOs, many with their multi-million dollar mansions, private jets and gold plated perks care little about their workers in China.
Out of the billion and a quarter people living in China, only a very small percentage are benefiting from China's economic boom.
It's not only Apple, of course, that's screwing the Chinese people(with the Chinese government's blessing, of course) and profiting mightily. Thousands of companies, worldwide, including China's own, are doing it.

AFAIK there are no Apple Stores in Australia... only resellers... I guess it is similar in NZ?

In my town in Victoria AU, there is a resller who once had an Apple repair man and couldn't afford to keep him on, saying the upgrades made it expensive for them to keep training him

Like the hardware upgrades and such, the changes in different types of Macs, from the old 604e processors to the G5 and now the inTel. They needed to pay their Apple service man to be updated to keep his licence, and it was to expensive for them.

AFAIK they've fixed the yellowing Macbooks by replacing the palm rest with different material. And you can get yours fixed for free by Apple.

Is there any way to know if a macbook has the new material in it or not (if you bought it late, as in Aug of last year, did they start using the new material)?

They corrected the material relatively early, and the yellowing started about a month after buying one, so I'd say you're safe if it's not yellow yet.

You guys in Australia and NZ are lucky. Word is, the situation in Greece and Poland are very bad. A single company has the license from the government to import Apples - and no other can get a license. Apple doesn't (or maybe can't) setup shop in the countries - so everything is at the mercy of these middlemen who really foul things up.

http://digg.com/apple/We_Want_Apple_Greece

Like the hardware upgrades and such, the changes in different types of Macs, from the old 604e processors to the G5 and now the inTel. They needed to pay their Apple service man to be updated to keep his licence, and it was to expensive for them.
Ohh so every time Apple releases an upgrade they have to "upgrade" the Apple repair man as well? :D

Back