So My Mac Pro Is Dead... New Mac Time

Paul C

Registered
Hi All,

I've had a 2006 Mac Pro with ssd drives, 32gb RAM and 1gb Radeon 5770 for a few years now, it's served me well but keep having issues with it mainly down to bodging El Capitan to work and after an update it won't boot.

I'm looking to replace it but don't have a very big budget, I was looking at a Mac Mini (2012) with 8gb RAM and ssd drive for about £300, my question is would this be good enough for photoshop and light 1080p video editing? or would I need to spend the extra and get something like a 13" 2013 MBP?

My Mac Pro once wouldn't boot after a brief power outage while mini-display port was plugged into the display! Once I unplugged the cord the Mac Pro booted right up! So if you have a Thunderbolt, Firewire plugged into your Mac Pro try disconnecting all of them and see if the Mac Pro boots up!

Hi All,

I've had a 2006 Mac Pro with ssd drives, 32gb RAM and 1gb Radeon 5770 for a few years now, it's served me well but keep having issues with it mainly down to bodging El Capitan to work and after an update it won't boot.

I'm looking to replace it but don't have a very big budget, I was looking at a Mac Mini (2012) with 8gb RAM and ssd drive for about £300, my question is would this be good enough for photoshop and light 1080p video editing? or would I need to spend the extra and get something like a 13" 2013 MBP?

I've got no advice about replacement hardware for you, only comments:

I feel you. MY 2006 Mac Pro recently died also: unrecoverable (according to the Repair Service I took it to). My previous Mac was a first-issue Mini.
On the mini, I worked extensively in Photoshop, creating files hovering just a bit under a Gigabyte. Admittedly, the larger the files, the more the Mini struggled, but it worked.

I was recently given a used Mini that had been significantly upgraded by the original user, but before that gift, I was considering an iPad (but NOT the Pro).

I will soon be purchasing an enclosure for the drives from the Pro, so that I can access my old files, for use on my newly-acquired Mini.

I have never worked with video, so I can't speak to that.

Back