So... Tiger: Buggy and Incomplete?

why not mine? i feel... left out...

one thing i did do just now was a full boot-from-cd disk utility. it can't repair my main disk - is this why? do i really have to wipe it? plus the permissions came up in bold red with "was using special...."

I did install it last night and so far things are going pretty smooth. I'm extremely relieved I didn't take a performance hit like I've been reading about in several forums (1ghz G4 17" laptop). I did notice I can't search my Entourage emails with Spotlight so if I want the convenience of Spotlight I'll have to switch back to Mail. Otherwise though it feels nearly identical to Panther.

Now I just need 3 friends with webcams and iChat AV and I'll be set! =)

Lt Major Burns said:
rss... the shortened articles are too short - the slider won't go any bigger! it's either cryptic headline, or cryptic headline and too short an explanation!

I have been getting 15 or so lines when I use RSS on this discussion--with "Article Length" wide open.

From the sounds of it, it seems that Spotlight and Dashboard are inferior to Qucksilver and Konfabulator, that many of its new features either arent working yet or not as advertised, and that for all the speed increases, its still got lots of potential for messing up and causing many a reboot. In other words, its probably not worth the hassle, atleast not until 10.4.1. Is that what I'm hearing?

Scottfab said:
In other words, its probably not worth the hassle, atleast not until 10.4.1. Is that what I'm hearing?

Agreed Scottfab. I'm now having too many issues to warrant the upgrade. I'm afraid I'll have to do a clean install now and that could take hours/days to reinstall my key apps. I was somewhat counting on Apple having a Software Update in the very near future to address the many bugs I'm sure they must have been aware of when pushing Tiger out the door. With fingers crossed...

And oh yeah, between my last optimistic post and this one I've had Mail constantly crash, Cocktail (the newest version) crashing, one Finder hangup with a total forced shut down so I could do anything, and my laptop fan is on 20x more than it should be. Yikes!

Mmh... That's just a common misunderstanding here, Scottfab. Spotlight is _not_ intended to be a competitor to QuickSilver or LaunchBar - you can safely use those tools. I personally prefer LaunchBar to QS, and use Spotlight for searching my files' contents, whereas I use LaunchBar as my, well, launch bar.
Same goes for Dashboard and Konfabulator. You can continue to use Konf and just ignore Dashboard if you want. For many, Konf was a CPU-hog and they're glad they now have a beautiful alternative. Konfabulator lets you use widgets in a different manner (Dashboard is a layer that can be invoked but is otherwise invisible). If you want: Use them both - or just one. Nobody's hindering you. I've got rid of Konfabulator shortly after version 1.5 was out, mainly because of it slowing down my systems and not giving me what I really wanted. Dashboard I'm using now: 1) it doesn't hog my CPU, 2) it gives me some things I really like.

i don't use widgets much (the weather?! wow! i find myself looking out of the window to check it's right. useless. a clock! another one! the yellow pages in Manchester CA! crap itunes remote! apples stocks have fallen. sh*t, now i can't do any work now i know this crashing, depressing fact), but i agree that while it's running, in activity monitor at least, it doesn't use any system resources.

and i was really hyped about dashboard as well....

Lt Major Burns said:
i don't use widgets much (the weather?! wow! i find myself looking out of the window to check it's right. useless. a clock! another one! the yellow pages in Manchester CA! crap itunes remote! apples stocks have fallen. sh*t, now i can't do any work now i know this crashing, depressing fact), but i agree that while it's running, in activity monitor at least, it doesn't use any system resources.

and i was really hyped about dashboard as well....

I find the big thing to Dashboard is the Fed Ex/Package tracker(downloadable from Apple's Dashboard page) and the included little Calculator. They are really quick and quickly accessible.

but supposedly dashboard has a few problems, such as the widgets hog virtual memory, and that info doesnt upgrade unless the widget is open.

whats the difference between quicksilver and launchbar?

Back