software for sale

wix1

Registered
Can anyone advise - i have very recently been made redundant and thethe company i worked for had bought me some adobe software for me to use which i never used. Although it is company property i no longer work there and so i want to sell the software package. Im sure the company would never even know but im worried that if they did they would hold the license information and be able to track it to the person i sell it to using the product information codes and install registration used by the new owner. Can anyone advise how this works?

If it's the company's property, then you have no business selling it, unless the software license was transferred to you upon termination.

Your best bet would be to contact your old company and ask them what to do with the software, since, as you state, it does not belong to you.

We cannot advise you on anything unless it's legitimate -- we don't do that kind of thing here. If you get the "go ahead" from the company to sell the software, we'd be glad to help you.

OK, thanks for the email, the message was to ask about the legitimacy of the situation and this being an open forum i felt would be the place to find out.

Well, typically, if the software belongs to you, you can sell it. When you sell it, though, you also sell the license to use the software -- meaning you cannot retain any copies of the install CDs/DVDs, you must uninstall it from any computers you have installed it on, you must basically "forget" the serial number and not use it again, and the serial number must be sold along with the software itself.

If all of the above are met, selling the software is a-ok.

OK, many thanks for your help and advice - i guess i had best triple check with my old company but i think it will be ok to sell on. Thanks again.

No problem, and, just out of curiosity, what software package is it? Something Adobe? Or something more obscure?

There is a "Classifieds" section of this forum that you can post in and may get some interest from if you decide to sell the software.

Its adobe photoshop cs2, thnaks for the tip on the classifieds section - ill check with my old company first and then see if i can list it in the classifieds. Thanks again.

Back