Software Installation Problem

twister

Howdy
I've been having some installation problems on my MacBook Pro. When I download a program like a NeoOffice patch or ScreenRecycler, run the installer program, it gets to the step where I need to select my harddrive and nothing shows.

I've run disk utility, OnyX and the software test tools that came with my machine and there are no issues.

The only thing I can think of is maybe it came up after the MacBook Pro EFI Firmware update.

I'm on a MacBook Pro running 10.4.11 and if anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Some people report that using the "back" button to return to the previous installation screen, then clicking "next" to return back to the drive selection screen helps.

I'm pretty sure I tried this, but I'll give it another try. It's good to hear that it may not just be me.

Question: is your iDisk mounted, or do you have your iDisk set to synchronize and/or keep a local copy? If so, unmount the iDisk.

Also, if you have any kind of network shares mounted, unmount them first. It could be that your internal hard drive doesn't show up until ALL volumes are scanned for install eligibility, and network drives (especially iDisks) take a LONG time to scan.

Nope, no external disks. Not even any partitions.

I've even let the installers go for like 5 minutes and nothing.

It's whatever the computer came with. I don't remember changing it and I don't have partitions. I don't have the computer with me right now, but it's nothing unusual. :)

Ok, my drive is officially Journaled HFS+ with no partitions, no external drives and no choices when installing NeoOffice patches or applications. :(

NeoOffice is one example, I have seen it with a few others but haven't done a lot of installing lately.

I figured it out!! Well mostly.

There is a window that pops up when installing software that says "You must run a program to ensure you can run this software on your computer" or something like that. That's not showing. After a few tries with NeoOffice, it eventually showed and everything worked.

With ScreenRecycler, I can't that that screen to show and I can't get the software to install.

Interesting... very interesting.

Back