Software update can't install

cinolas

Registered
I tried software update for the first time since I upgraded to Panther yesterady (archive and install actually). The iSync update was available, it downloaded properly but right after I got the following message:

'The update "iSync" could not be verified and expanded correctly.

Make sure you have permission to write to /tmp/503/TemporaryItems/com.apple.softwareupdate, then try again.'

I verified the permissions for the folder and, assuming that "me" is the current user (Admin user) I should be allowed to write to the specified directory.

I also tried repairing the permissions using my Panther CD but it had no effect.

I tried again today (the security update was available), both updates failed with the same message.

Any idea ?

Thank you very much for your help.

It could be something wrong on Apple's side. I've tried updating Quicktime via the included program and it's given me messages about it not being able to download, or something weird like that. So the files you downloaded might not be completely free of errors.

arden said:
It could be something wrong on Apple's side. I've tried updating Quicktime via the included program and it's given me messages about it not being able to download, or something weird like that. So the files you downloaded might not be completely free of errors.

You could just go to apples osx software site and download the update manually :)

Did you try to Download the Updates to the Desktop and then run them by double clicking on them?

Try repairing permissions while booted from your hard drive installation of OS X. That way you have the most current permissions for the drive. Repairing Permissions should always be done by booting from the volume that you'd like to repair permissions on since OS X uses certain files on that boot volume to determine what the correct permissions should be.

Try repairing while booted from the hard drive and then running Software Update.

Repairing permissions while booted from my Panther drive had no effect. I was able to install the updates manually; I think the problem really is with the temporary folder...I just don't know what the permissions should be!

Well, if you ran the repair permissions command, then the permissions on that folder should be set to the correct permissions.

What happens if you create a new, dummy user and try to run software update (wth available updates, of course) from there? Could be something screwy with your user account.

More trouble...

I tried re-installing my Wacom Graphire2 drivers and the installer failed in a similar way to software update. The Wacom drivers come in a .mpkg that uses Panther's Installer. It fails during the verification of the package (pre-flight), the log reports a failure of the pre-flight.

I tried installing from my original CD and from the most recent downloaded drivers, same thing.

I tried reparing the permissions (again), no reported repairs, same thing.

I tried logging in as root, software update and the Wacom installer both failed in the same way.

This is now mission critical as I need my tablet for my work and I can't figure out a way to manually install the Wacom driver. Any ideas ? Anyone know how to manually install a .mpkg ?

Thanks to all.

Back