Software Update Issues

moonchilddave

Registered
I have a MacBook running 10.6.3. Software Update keeps asking me to install the same thing over and over - even after it supposedly has installed it several times. The one update it keeps asking me to install is:

HP Printer Drivers Update 2.3 (4.8M)

Now I have installed this like 3 times already through Software Update, but it keeps coming back and is kind of annoying. I've done a check disk, and repair permissions and still this problem persists.

Software Update is set to notify me of updates, but not to download them unless I say to if that matters any. I also deleted everything in /Library/Updates

You can easily stop that annoyance - when software update comes up the next time, click on the HP update, then choose Ignore Update (from the menus)

You could also try downloading that update from Apple and installing it manually. Perhaps it isn't finishing correctly in SU and after doing so SU will see that it has.

Actually, I found a better solution that works... http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2241907&tstart=0&messageID=11240427

1) If you have not already done so, install the latest HP drivers found on the HP website.
2) delete /Library/Printers/hp/Frameworks/HPSmartX.framework
3) Run Software Update - it will prompt to install HP Printer Drivers Update 2.3 - let it do this.
4) Run Software Update again -- it should no longer show that update.

I don't like the idea of ignoring updates... but thanks. I didn't bother with downloading the update from HP's site as I had already done and installed that. So just deleting the folder mentioned above seemed to be the fix.

You wouldn't be ignoring the update, as you have already installed it. It's simply a glitch in the Software Update that 'forgets' that the update has already been installed. You choose ignore only when you know the update has already been installed, or it's an update that you choose to ignore. That's what it's for.
I'm glad you found another good work-around for that...

Back