Software Update Server and Non-Apple Software

cticompserv

Registered
I have our Xserve's Software Update Server and Apple Remote Desktop configured to install updates on the Macs on our network. Is it possible to use the update server for non-Apple software like Firefox or for Adobe apps?

Nope.

Each of the different pieces of software you mentioned (Firefox, Adobe Suite, etc.) uses a different mechanism from each other for detecting and downloading updates, which is also a completely different mechanism than what Apple uses to download and install Apple software updates.

You can still use Remote Desktop to install non-Apple software, but you can't use Apple's Software Update Server services to download updates for non-Apple software.

If only third party apps and updates were packaged in a standard way and could be installed with apt-get.

Kent

Well, there's Fink in the event you want to install Unix apps in a Debian-style manner. Fink acts like the APT system in Debian.

There's also MacPorts which is a FreeBSD-like ports packaging system for Darwin/Mac OS X.

Oh, I know about MacPorts and Fink but I was speaking in the OS X context. If third-party developers would package their apps in the same way that Apple does then they could be slipped into the Update Server by the admin and installed the same way.

Kent

Oooh, I don't think Apple would like that one bit. Without complete control over what code gets pushed out through their update servers, people would begin pointing the finger at Apple when Software Update borked their FireFox installation or something because the folks at Mozilla made a mistake or something...

In addition, that would put the burden of security-checking ALL code on the Software Update servers on Apple, to ensure that some rogue, disgruntled employee at some 3rd-party software company didn't get all pissed off and push a trojan out through Apple's Software Update servers.

Just my $0.02, but I don't like the idea one bit. It sounds super magnificent and awesome, but is a GREAT security concern for both Apple and me.

Back