softwareupdate via command line question

macidiot

Registered
I have never actually used softwareupdate in terminal, but I knew about it, and today when I saw there was an update for safari, I thought it would be nice to do this via ssh since I am at work, so I typed in software update, and I got the following:

Software Update Tool
Copyright 2002 Apple Computer, Inc.

Software Update found the following new or updated software:

- AirPortSW-2.1.1
AirPort Software (2.1.1), 4350K - restart required
- SafariUpdate-1.0 Beta (v60)
Safari Update 2-12-03 (1.0 Beta (v60)), 2440K
- iPod-1.2.1
iPod Software (1.2.1), 5712K

To install an update, run this tool with the item name as an argument.
e.g. 'softwareupdate <item> ...'

so I tried 'sudo softwareupdate SafariUpdate-1.0' and several versions of that, and that line, all attempts came back with the following:

Software Update Tool
Copyright 2002 Apple Computer, Inc.

softwareupdate: SafariUpdate-1.0: No such update name

Like I said, I have tried several different variations of that line, so I tried to check the man page, but it said no man page found... I searched online, and every place I found said to check the man page, a couple sites said to put in the item number insead of name after the softwareupdate command, but I don't get any item numbers. (see above) so I am stuck, can't RTFM, because there is no FM, and can't figure out what I need to put for the item...

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Apple's command line tool is pretty cumbersome to use:
sudo softwareupdate "Safari Update 2-12-03 (1.0 Beta (v60))"
It would be nice if they could just give each item a catalog number and that would be the argument to use for installation, rather than such cumbersome names with spaces...

Or maybe even a GUI! :p

Thanks for sharing this by the way! I didn't know about it, and despite my sarcasm I think it is pretty cool.

There is a GUI (it came first):
/System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app
The command line tool came second. I think it's purpose is for remote administration (especially for applying security patches). For updating GUI applications while still at the console, it's pretty pointless and far less effecient than the GUI tool.

Back