some files do not appear on mac...need help!!!

don13ger

Registered
i recently bought a macbook..
i also have an external hardrive and when i connect it to the macbook, it gets recognzed like how it is in windows but not all the files show up..
some pictures show up, some dont..
like in my photos folder, the subfolder 2005 and all of its contents show up but the 2006 subfolder does not show..

what can i do? thnks..

What format is the drive in? Mac OS Extended, NTFS, FAT32 ???

Have you tried opening Disk Utility (in Applications > Utilities) and ran "Repair Disk" on the external?

What format is the drive in? Mac OS Extended, NTFS, FAT32 ???

Have you tried opening Disk Utility (in Applications > Utilities) and ran "Repair Disk" on the external?

the format is ntfs.. havent tried running repair disk.. does it delete the files?
the files show up normally when i connect it to my windows computer..

Actually, the Mac wouldn't be able to modify any files on an NTFS partition since NTFS is read-only on every other operating system that's not Microsoft-based.

You'll have the best luck using FAT32 on a hard drive that Macs and PCs use. The downside of FAT32, however, is that files can only be around 4 GB.

Actually, the Mac wouldn't be able to modify any files on an NTFS partition since NTFS is read-only on every other operating system that's not Microsoft-based.

yup, i noticed that too. i couldnt delete the files.. but that didnt really bother me much since i could still copy the files... my only problem is that some files/folders do not appear. what do you think is the problem here?

Note that it does NOT mean 4 GB per Folder, just individual files. You would not likely ever have a 4 GB file unless you're working with video or really big audio files (like Garageband projects).

Note that it does NOT mean 4 GB per Folder, just individual files. You would not likely ever have a 4 GB file unless you're working with video or really big audio files (like Garageband projects).

that is exactly what i use the computer for, editing videos.. 4gb files occur to me once in a while. is there an alternative for that 4gb per file?

Not really. The Mac uses HFS+ normally, and that allows for bigger files. However, you'd need a third party utility in order to access the drive on Windows, then.

Well in this case I would format the drive in HFS+. However I then would purchase MacDrive for my PCs to access it. Problem solved.

Doesn't Mac support anything like ext2 or reiserfs?

I've pondered that myself, but upon researching in the past I've found that OS X doesn't support filesystems like ext2/ext3/reiserfs/etc.

However, I just found this on sourceforge.net:

Mac OS X Ext2 Filesystem

I haven't found anything regarding ext3, reiserfs, and the rest though.

I'm not sure about this, but you *might* be able to access more files from the command line (using Terminal) if you don't mind the unix. Otherwise, you could have Finder show invisible files. (TinkerTool will let you set this if you don't want to use the terminal - it is a freeware preference pane for setting various options not available from the GUI.)

OS X can also deal with UFS, but I'm not sure that would help here.

- cfr

Back