Someone Please Answer This Battery Question!

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I've noticed lately that my battery icon in the toolbar says "charged" if I "show time" only, but when I click on "show percentage" it actually says 95% charged. Same with my iStat Nano widget - it says "95% charged." The light on my power adapter is GREEN, which would mean 100% charged. What's going on???

P.S. My MacBook Air is only about 8 months old.

djackmac, thank you very much! I did NOT know that! This hasn't always been the case with my computer. It's something that it only started doing recently, so I was kind of worried. Thanks for the link and the article!

"Green" does not mean 100% charged. It simply means "Providing power, but not charging"
The "normal" part means that your Apple laptop does not normally start charging unless the charge drops below 95%. Unplug, and let the charge fall only to 94%, plug back in, and you will see the plug show green for a few seconds (power), then change to orange/amber (indicating charging.)
Your old iBook would have operated the same way (no charging unless the battery was below 95%) - all Apple laptops have operated this same way, since they started having a power/charge indicator light on the plug, which would be the first G3 PowerBooks, I think.

Back