Someone PLEASE HELP with MacBook Air & Multi-Colored Lines Flashing & Frozen Apps!!!

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
My MacBook Air (late 2011 model) was working fine like it always does, then all of a sudden everything froze and multi-colored, horizontal lines were running through my screen and flashing like crazy. Nothing would work. Everything froze. Just the flashing, buzzing lines. I had to hold down the power button and shutdown. When I turned it back on, everything was back to normal and working fine like nothing ever happened. WTH???

Anyone have any idea what this was or what could have caused it? I wasn't running any heavy apps when it happened, just browsing the Internet.

Have you tried your hardware test?
You can run that either locally, or through your internet connection.

From your MBAir user guide...
To use Apple Hardware Test:
1 Disconnect all external devices from your MacBook Air except the power adapter.
2 Restart your MacBook Air while holding down the D key.
3 When the Apple Hardware Test chooser screen appears, select the language you want
to use.
4 Press the Return key or click the right arrow button.
5 When the Apple Hardware Test main screen appears (after about 45 seconds), follow
the onscreen instructions.
6 If Apple Hardware Test detects a problem, it displays an error code. Make a note of the
error code before pursuing support options. If Apple Hardware Test doesn’t detect a
hardware failure, the problem may be software related.
Important: If the Apple Hardware Test doesn’t appear after restarting, hold down
Option-D and restart the computer to access the Apple Hardware Test software from
the Internet. Your computer must be connected to a network that has access to the
Internet.
Be sure to try both the standard, and the extended tests.

Back