Someone talk me out of it!

SGilbert

Registered
About ready to pull the trigger & install Mavericks-10.9.3 from Snow Leopard-10.6.8.

I've checked all I'll loose with 'PPCtoTrash", and I'm OK with that. What scares the ca*p out of me is if I'll be taking a performance hit and the perceived learning curve. More & more, though, there are updates to apps I use that are for higher OSs than I have. Safari, especially, has been giving me fits, as I'm stuck with v 5.1.10.

Current MBP is early '08 17" 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Happy with SL, but hoping for a better experience (but not aggravation). Recommend or 'fagataboutit' ??

A fresh install gives the OS its own space rather that being placed on top of what you have (which may or may not develop a slowness while the files decide who runs first).

The learning curve is slight and not a hassle at all. The learning of the new happens with any update/upgrade, some just more than others.

Go for it. It’s Free ! You’ll have up to date browser with a bit faster load times. Just remember to update your internet plugins. And after the free upgrade you get Pages, Numbers, and Keynote upgrade free !

I find that a Fresh install does better with Mavericks.

Satcomer &/or Cheryl,

Ideas for best way (read: easiest way) to do this? I have (will have) Time Machine backup on a 1TB external with 495GB available.
What to reinstall & what to overwrite? What worries me is years of app 'tweaks', settings, & preferences.

A step by step can be found here ---> osxdaily

Rather than use Time Machine, I suggest you do a back up of your important documents, pictures, music, as well as installers and your home folder (which holds your preferences). SuperDuper or CarbonCopy works well. Then you can transfer over your files using Migration Assistant.

Know that going from 10.6 to 10.9 you will need to upgrade much of the apps you have. I would start with checking on those updates/upgrades first.

Whatever you do . . . CLONE your drive with a proper cloning program on another HD--that includes making it "boottable." WAY back, TimeMachine would not do that--make a bootable copy--but I believe that has changed.

Do that.

Now.

I will wait.

Man, Littlefinger is a complete fuc . . . oh! There you are!

Now, when you find Mavericks destroys your Mail program, runs slower than one-eyes paraplegic sloth in a slow-dance competition, and causes painful itching and swelling with a loss of appetite and "an impending sense of doom," you can quickly go back.

I have been "unhappy" with Mavericks--I am even having a "bit of a barney" with satcomer on it with regards to what it does to Mail which, despite all pretense to the contrary, is a basic program an OS should be able to achieve without fuc[CENSOREDing--Ed.] the proverbial puppy with a prize-winning leak.

Others feel otherwise. If you are happy with the latest update--which I have not yet tried--then you can always "dump" your clone.

--J.D.

Mail? Haven't used that for quite awhile--it stinks! Other than AOL's mail page (been with them for longer than I can remember), I use Thunderbird.

BIG question: Mac App Store only allows for 'installation'. How can I download Mavericks without installing? If I do this, I'd want to fresh install and transfer, not over-ride my current Mountain Lion.

BIG question: Mac App Store only allows for 'installation'. How can I download Mavericks without installing? If I do this, I'd want to fresh install and transfer, not over-ride my current Mountain Lion.
When you download the Mavericks installer, it puts it in your Application folder, and once you run it from there it self deletes upon completion of the install.
A lot of users, myself included like to make up a USB installer to keep around for use in the future in case of problems.
This must be done using the downloaded installer before you run it and it gets deleted.
There is much info on the web as to how to do this, such as this link.

Back