Someone try jaguar?

No problem... it is just that I program, and the post of 'Apple finally gave 10.2 multithreading' got to me a little...

Afterall, multithreading has been around since 7.5.3 as a hack, and since 10.0 as built-in support. The only change to multithreading between 10.1 and 10.2 is maybe a more efficient implementation. The speed boosts people are seeing in the Finder, Dock, etc are likely due to the smarter multithreading of Apple apps, or writing the apps to use multiple threads (hence no actual speed gain, just more responsiveness).

To get the thread back on track: Can someone who's actively using a Jaguar build (6C35 or newer) share his/her knowledge about stability issues?

I remember the Puma builds before 5G27 to be kinda non-PowerBook friendly and generally unstable, for example. Things got better through 5G48 and the system was ready for productional systems at or around 5G59. (5G64 was released as 10.1.)

What is the point of 10.1.5 if 10.2 will come out in September as you guys have said. My question is this: its almost the beginning of summer, and nearing September, and when is 10.1.5 coming out??!?!?! I think it should be released soon, because when 10.1.5 comes out right before 10.2, what is the point? why not release it now?

Originally posted by fryke
To get the thread back on track: Can someone who's actively using a Jaguar build (6C35 or newer) share his/her knowledge about stability issues?

I remember the Puma builds before 5G27 to be kinda non-PowerBook friendly and generally unstable, for example. Things got better through 5G48 and the system was ready for productional systems at or around 5G59. (5G64 was released as 10.1.)

I have it installed and I am using it daily as a mySQL server and apache server. The server is just serving a beta version of a website that will be going live by the end of the summer. It works great so far. I have yet to have it carsh on me.

Its running on a B&W 350 with 128 MB RAM. boot times are REALLY fast. the overall speed blows 10.1.x away in my mind. I see the aqua ball every once in a while. usually with IE.

The only complaint that I have with it is the fact that I couldnt get the CGI DBI module working. Apple needs to ship the OS with CGI PHP and mySQL installed and preconfigured, but thats my 2 cents.

i cant wait till it goes gold.

I didn't mean stability as a server. I meant in a productive environment with Photoshop 7, Illustrator, InDesign and the like. Using it for daily browsing & e-mail, putting the powerbook to sleep and waking it up (letting it sleep worked fine in 5G27, only the *wakeup* part was a failure). ;)

someone using this on his tibook as the primary os?

gosh, i'd want to try, guess i'll grab a copy when they reach something like 6C50 or 6D20, as i think there will be many, many builds rolling out this summer. :)

remember last year's summer? sun, fun, puma builds...?

Back