Someone try jaguar?

I just noticed that Apple added a negetive.positive button to the calculator. It's gone from 2.6 to 2.9.1.

In the keynote, they said something about system wide thumbnail supports. What exactly does this mean?

What I - for example - find a KICK ASS feature in the KDE (a very good Linux window manager) is that ASCII files (textfiles etc.) and even Rich text files are kinda previewed in the icon!

The icon - depending what kind of text it is (Logfile, plain text, rich text) is most often some kind of papersheet, but with the first lines of content on that file written into it! I find this VERY usefull, and hope this is what they mean with systemwide thumbnail support...

anybody care to enlighten me if this is supported?

I don't see any support about system wide thumbnail in any Finder/System options yet, and no image preview (unless the image has its own big icons).

I saw the new iChat and all the other new and cool iapps in 10.2 but does iChat have fileftransfer? i Allways wanted that in a chat program because the aim has that enabled but i suxs and allways crashes...Another question...where did you guys get the beta of 10.2 from? I HAVE TO GET ONE!!! ...:)

I have Jaguar too And i have found a new icon when you eject the cd..
Desktop_withJaguar.jpg

Overal Performance is Fantastic . I have A G4 400 2xAGP

bureaublad%20Jeff.jpg

In 10.2 are there any changes to the save/open dialog boxes??

It's one of those things that people complain about in OS X - probably with good reason, it would be nice if they were more consistent with the finder.

Originally posted by macfreak88
I saw the new iChat and all the other new and cool iapps in 10.2 but does iChat have fileftransfer? i Allways wanted that in a chat program because the aim has that enabled but i suxs and allways crashes...Another question...where did you guys get the beta of 10.2 from? I HAVE TO GET ONE!!! ...:)

It most certainly does have file transfer...and it's as easy as drag and drop

Someone here linked to the news.com videos that show the program in action using file transfer

Here's the link again:
http://news.com.com/2014-1089-0.html

It's under the "jobs dips into inkwell for OS X" video

And as for how people have 10.2 already...some were at the conference and others have used more nefarious means ;)

Originally posted by aishafenton
In 10.2 are there any changes to the save/open dialog boxes??

It's one of those things that people complain about in OS X - probably with good reason, it would be nice if they were more consistent with the finder.

yes... that would be nice. The open/save dialog boxes need to support the keyboard. nothing worse than scrolling down to find a file in list view.

my friend has a iBook graphite SE, and in 10.1 he has had that eject icon in the center of the screen. Its really wierd. We tried like crazy one day to find out how to get it to do it on my icebook, but never had any luck. I will grab a screen shot of it and post it when i see him.

Your friend should have installed OS 10.1.5 (beta) on his iBook SE. 10.1.5 has the same on screen ejecting display as Jaguar.

My printer isn't supported, or I'd use Jag exclusively. On an LCD iMac (supported video card) window resizing is INSTANTANEOUS, faster than WinXP, and even resizing in OmniWeb is close to realtime. The main advantage with Jag is the MULTITHREADING. This is the greatest thing to happen to the Mac in a long time... you open five programs and they all just load quickly and efficiently without any slowdown. Also, the multithreading allows you to immediately start using the machine after it's done starting up... no more waiting for login items, etc.

No one's mentioned the new screen saver... :) Greatest thing ever, IMO.

I REALLY like iChat. It doesn't have logs, but... it's a great app. When you have your chat windows closed, a notification bubble pops up in the top right corner of the screen with the FULL TEXT of the message someone sent you--that hasn't been done on ANY chat app before!

now that you've MENTIONED the new screen saver, could you also give some INFO about it? :)

Like that it makes not much sense to me...

I just figured out what's different with apple-tab. It work differently. When you push it, it goes to the lat application you were on instead of to the right. That is way too windowish.

Originally posted by wdw_
I just figured out what's different with apple-tab. It work differently. When you push it, it goes to the lat application you were on instead of to the right. That is way too windowish.

Ah, windowish or not, I find this very useful. It can be frustrating going through a long list of open applications every time you simply want to swap between the two apps you're currently working with.
Windows, on the other hand, can be pretty frustrating because if you have 10 browser windows open it will show all of them separately when alt-tabbing. I hear XP has some improvement regarding grouping together windows of of the same app, but haven't had the chance to see it for myself.

Originally posted by tismey

According to the register then definitely. There's a good little round-up of what developers using the version they were given think, and in there they comment that it's a lot faster. Considering (from what I can glean) that most of the currently available Mac product line has graphics cards that don't support Quartz Extreme, this has to be to do wit the code (multithreaded finder and stuff I guess).

That last statement is TOTALLY untrue. All PowerMacs come standard with graphics cards with 64 MB VRAM, and all other Mac products, with the exception of the iBook, come with graphics cards that have 32 MB VRAM. All iMacs and eMacs have nVidia GeForce 2 MX cards with 32 MB VRAM. Powerbooks now have 32 MB VRAM Radeon Mobility 7500 cards. PowerMacs come with either Radeon 7500s or GeForce 4MX cards, both of which have 64 MB VRAM.

The iBook is the only Apple product that is sorely lacking in the graphics subsystem, as well as the processor (not G4). Expect the iBook to have a two-tiered graphics upgrade like the Powerbook, and it will probably get a G4 processor soon, too.

Originally posted by ddma
Your friend should have installed OS 10.1.5 (beta) on his iBook SE. 10.1.5 has the same on screen ejecting display as Jaguar.

He has 10.1.4 Its been like that since 10.1. A screen will be posted later today

Back