Sos!

g10tto

Registered
Had this G4 Powermac for almost a year now.

ORiginally bought it on eBay with 10.4 installed.

I wanted to use some Classic applications, but it didn't come with a restore disc or a Classic system folder like the iBook I used to own.

So I got the software install and restore discs from my dad's old iMacs and tried to boot from the CD.

That didn't work, so I used my software install discs from my iBook, and the process wouldn't recognize one of the discs.

Long story short, I switched my startup disc to a Classic folder I found in the list, and now I have a grey screen.

I've tried several keystrokes during startup (X, D, Cmd + V, Cmd + S, Option, Spacebar, Shift+Option+Cmd+Del, T, N, R) and so far the only thing that works is holding C when I have the System Install Disc in for OS 10. That screen, however, looks like the resolution was turned way down so that it's only black and white, and everything is pretty much unreadable and fragmented.

I don't want to reinstall an older version because I have a lot of software that's 10.4+ only! Also, I use this computer for work, so I'm losing hours trying to solve this problem.

Anyone know how to switch the startup disk another way?

::UPDATE::

I have since used the Disk Utility to verify and repair the disk and its permissions. I have also used Norton Disk Doctor to run some diagnostic stuff on the hard drive now labeled "Untitled" under the temporary OS 9 interface provided by Norton. Under the same OS, the Startup Disk control panel can't locate anything besides the CD in the drive. Without a disc, I get a flashing question mark with the classic logo and none of the keystrokes work, all on startup.

I still need to switch the startup disk, but none of the keystrokes I've found online work except for C!

No, it won't bring up the Starup Disk Manager thingy like I've read.

I tried switching keyboards from Windows to Mac and back.

No results.

(thanks!)

Please don't use Norton on any disk that has OSX on it. Disaster awaits and may have doomed your install.

Try unplugging from AC, then remove the battery from the computer, wait at least 20 minutes before putting back.

Give it time on start to find the OS. Or put in the system CD if you don't get to the drive. You may now be able to see the items on the screen and choose the startup OS. If Norton has killed your X you may have no option other than to reinstall.

Yes, kbear is right. Symantec products for OS X are still being sold but the requirements for it are 10.0 or 10.1. They also say "or later" in the requirements but they have not updated them to support anything beyond those two versions of OS X. I recently had to troubleshoot a client's eMac and most of the problems were due to the Symantec Norton Utilities and other assorted Symantec products installed. Even the included uninstaller doesn't work, and you have to download an updated uninstaller from Symantec themselves. Please, make sure you remove that garbage software and never use it again.

Back