sound output

vali

Registered
PowerPC G5 Dual 2GHz - using Skype. Everyone complains about low sound level, difficulty hearing me. Tried many different microphones - now using one with a small built-in amplifier. The input volume is set to highest, the input level indicator jumps to markers well above the mid-point when I talk.

It seems to me that the modulation going out from the microphone input is weak, probably in the A/D converter (or however the sound signal is converted for transmission). To my knowledge this part of the system is on the motherboard, so not easily replaceable.

The Apple website indicated approaches for professional music applications (Logic Pro, SoundtrackPro) but I don't think I should go that way. Besides, that is expensive.

The sound output on this end is fine. I have a pair of small (3") speakers with built-in amplifier, and the sound is clear and loud.

Questions: How can the problem of low microphone output be better diagnosed? Could an additional sound card be added to the system? Would an external audio interface, like the Griffin iMic USB (on the Apple Store list) be a solution?

If the microphone uses the audio-in plug, I am not surprised. The port is an Audio-in port for professionals, not a consumer microphone port. You could go the USB microphone way or use the Griffin iMic with your old microphone.

I use a cheap store bought USB microphone that has a on-off button. It was under $30 (US).

Back