Sound Quality: Computer Vs. iPod

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I've noticed that when I'm listening to my music in my iTunes library via my Apple earbuds, the sound quality is not as good as when I'm listening to the same music via the same earbuds on my iPod. Why is that?

Do you have the "Sound Enhancer" turned on in iTunes? (See iTunes -> Preferences -> Playback.) I'm not sure if the iPod has a similar feature, and if it does, it's probably independent of iTunes' setting.

It's also been suggested that the iPod uses some rather high-quality components for music playing, and I'd venture to say that it uses a higher wattage for the headphones than your Mac, tho I don't have the numbers to prove it.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Do you perhaps have different EQ settings set on the iPod and iTunes?
No, I set all my music in iTunes (based on type of individual song--rock, dance, pop, etc.) with iTunes EQ and I do a pre-set of song playback (when you highlight each song and do Get Info>Options.

And for my iPod, I always have the EQ set to Flat. I read on Apple's iPod support site that, in order to make each song retain its EQ setting when you sync your iPod, you need to set the iPod's EQ at Flat--that way all the songs will come in as set in iTunes. (Did that even make sense? lol)

Mikuro said:
Do you have the "Sound Enhancer" turned on in iTunes? (See iTunes -> Preferences -> Playback.) I'm not sure if the iPod has a similar feature, and if it does, it's probably independent of iTunes' setting.
Just checked, and yep, Sound Enhancer is checked. And the slider bar is in the middle.

ra3ndy said:
It's also been suggested that the iPod uses some rather high-quality components for music playing, and I'd venture to say that it uses a higher wattage for the headphones than your Mac, tho I don't have the numbers to prove it.
I think you might be right.

The older iPods actually had higher quality components than the newer ones, although it is diubtful that they are better than a computer's. The newer ones will sound better through a line out (via the dock connector). If it's a newer iPod it is most likely a software issue or firmware, not hardware.

kylesandell said:
The older iPods actually had higher quality components than the newer ones, although it is diubtful that they are better than a computer's. The newer ones will sound better through a line out (via the dock connector). If it's a newer iPod it is most likely a software issue or firmware, not hardware.
Did you mean to say the opposite: That it's doubtful that computer sound is better than iPod sound? That's the way it is for me, anyway. When I listen to music via my iPod Nano, the sound quality is MUCH better than when listening to music via my earbuds with my computer. And I use the same (Apple) earbuds for both.

Amie said:
Just checked, and yep, Sound Enhancer is checked. And the slider bar is in the middle.
This could explain the difference. Try turning it off in iTunes and see if you get the same kind of sound.

Maybe it's just Amie's subjective view on what makes her music sound good. I personally use a high-quality pair of Sony headphones with my iPod for good bass range, but my friend Nicole hates them; she thinks they sound too "full". She prefers stock Apple earbuds to my expensive headphones! Maybe Amie enjoys "less full" sound, which Sound Enhancer would do the opposite of.

(Answering Amie's last post, not Qion's. Just noticed that he answered while I was still reading the thread. ;)) That's questionable. Why and _how_ would any such software feature enhance the sound over playing it _flat_ as it was intended by the creator? In order to really compare the sound, you'd have to turn _every_ such feature plus all EQ settings off on both machines, the Mac and the iPod.

(Answering Amie's last post, not Qion's. Just noticed that he answered while I was still reading the thread. ;)) That's questionable. Why and _how_ would any such software feature enhance the sound over playing it _flat_ as it was intended by the creator? In order to really compare the sound, you'd have to turn _every_ such feature plus all EQ settings off on both machines, the Mac and the iPod.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure that all my features and EQ settings are the same on both my computer and iPod. So why is the sound quality different? Maybe it's because iPods are designed to play music--that is their primary purpose. Whereas computers' primary purpose is not so much sound quality as it is a plethora of other functions. Just a guess...

But doesn't Sound Enhancer *enhance* sound quality, not diminish it?
Like Qion said, it's all subjective. Personally, I like it with some sound hardware, but not all. And only with certain genres. And only on certain days of the week. ;) A lot of the time it just makes the music sound "fake" to me. I hardly ever use it anymore.

Anyway, it's worth a try fiddling with the setting.

iPods and laptops have different amplifiers between the D/A converter and the headphones. The amount of juice that the amplifier puts out has an enormous effect on the sound when it gets to your ears; that's why people make things like this and this.

I'm not a crazy audiophile myself, but I've always been of the opinion that the iPod internal amplifiers have been better than the PowerBook counterparts.

iPods and laptops have different amplifiers between the D/A converter and the headphones. The amount of juice that the amplifier puts out has an enormous effect on the sound when it gets to your ears; that's why people make things like this and this.

I'm not a crazy audiophile myself, but I've always been of the opinion that the iPod internal amplifiers have been better than the PowerBook counterparts.

A-ha! There's the answer! THANK you. :)

Back