Source Code Leaked? [Windows]

Saw that on Slashdot and had just posted it in the Cafe. I guess a lot of universities and other people have source code licenses, I suppose it was only a matter of time before it fell into "the wrong hands". I'm sure it can't be a good thing, but the question would be how much of the code is available? Just certain parts or can you compile an OS from the code?

I don't know how much of it was made avalabe. I do know that NT was built and based on a OS that M$ bought out, but not before it went opensource. So there is a good chance that between the two, a majority of windows is know at a great risk of getting hacked.

Also, m$ has said in the past that they can never release any of the source code for ANY window's compenet. They claimed that there was so many security holes that it "would pose a great risk to national security"....

Sorry, didn't see the thread that you had made in the cafe.

Yeah, I got it to go through (from the other thread).

Microsoft should release the Windows source code to the open source community. Why? They might actually make it a good operating system.

kendall said:
sw33t, i cant wait to run Windows 2000 on my Mac! :)

For the love of all things sacred, why?
And if you want Windows 2000 on your Mac so much, juts use Virtual PC.

Trillian said:
I don't know how much of it was made avalabe. I do know that NT was built and based on a OS that M$ bought out, but not before it went opensource.

Hi Trillian,

What OS did MS buy out to create NT with? It was my understanding that NT was written from scratch, with much input from Digital Equipment Corporation. In fact, the project leader for NT was David Cutler - who created VMS at DEC.

I'd love to know what OS NT was based on!

P.S. Here are some links on history of NT that I've found:
http://webserver.cpg.com/wa/2.6/
http://www.gare.co.uk/technology_watch/nt.htm
http://www.mrp3.com/ntvsunix.html

Statement from Microsoft Regarding Illegal Posting of Windows Source Code

REDMOND, Wash., Feb. 12, 2004 -- On Thursday, Microsoft became aware that portions of the Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0 source code were illegally made available on the Internet. It’s illegal for third parties to post Microsoft source code, and we take such activity very seriously.

We are currently investigating these postings and are working with the appropriate law-enforcement authorities.

At this point it does not appear that this is the result of any breach of Microsoft’s corporate network or internal security.

At this time there is no known impact on customers. We will continue to monitor the situation.

^^^ m$'s response ^^^

Haha.

I found it ... :D

Code:
/* Source Code Windows 2000 */

#include "win31.h"
#include "win95.h"
#include "win98.h"
#include "workst~1.h"
#include "evenmore.h"
#include "oldstuff.h"
#include "billrulz.h"
#include "monopoly.h"
#include "backdoor.h"
#define INSTALL = HARD

char make_prog_look_big(16000000);
void main()
{
  while(!CRASHED)
  {
    display_copyright_message();
    display_bill_rules_message();
    do_nothing_loop();

if (first_time_installation)
      {
      make_100_megabyte_swapfile();
      do_nothing_loop();
      totally_screw_up_HPFS_file_system();
      search_and_destroy_the_rest_of-OS2();
      make_futile_attempt_to_damage_Linux();
      disable_Netscape();
      disable_RealPlayer();
      disable_Lotus_Products();
      hang_system();
      } //if
    write_something(anything);
    do_nothing_loop();
    do_some_stuff();

if (still_not_crashed)
    {
    do_nothing_loop();
    basically_run_windows_31();
    do_nothing_loop();
    } // if
  } //while

if (detect_cache())
    disable_cache();

if (fast_cpu())
    {
    set_wait_states(lots);
    set_mouse(speed,very_slow);
    set_mouse(action,jumpy);
    set_mouse(reaction,sometimes);
    } //if

/* printf("Welcome to Windows 3.1");    */
  /* printf("Welcome to Windows 3.11");   */
  /* printf("Welcome to Windows 95");     */
  /* printf("Welcome to Windows NT 3.0"); */
  /* printf("Welcome to Windows 98");     */
  /* printf("Welcome to Windows NT 4.0"); */
  printf("Welcome to Windows 2000");

if (system_ok())
    crash(to_dos_prompt)
  else
    system_memory = open("a:\swp0001.swp",O_CREATE);

while(something)
    {
    sleep(5);
    get_user_input();
    sleep(5);
    act_on_user_input();
    sleep(5);
    } // while
  create_general_protection_fault();

} // main

I about pissed myself I laughed so hard. I think that's as about as accurate of a source code as anyone is going to find.

It seems that it is just a (small) part and/or (partially) fake / SexedUp™.
Either way, people around the net are scared mainly about two things: an ÜberWorm and contamination of OpenSource Software (and endless lawsuits from M$).

According to several other sources (mostly heise.de) it's actually true that some parts of Windows 2000 and NT 4.0 have leaked. This does not mean people will be able to 'make their own' Windows, exactly. The danger people are seeing is that hackers might find (even more) bugs in the code and make available exploits for those systems. Whether those bugs are still in newer versions of Win2K or even WinXP isn't known either.

I wonder though.... You think maybe Microsoft allowed the leak?

What better way to push the old WinNT4 crowd out of their caves and force them to update in a wide-spread panic than to say that all the hackers out there have the source code to do some real damage to their NT4/2000 machines. I still use NT4 and I'm sure this may become the nail in the coffin to push our company to finally upgrade.

Keep it up MS, leak out the source code and keep us businesses on our toes to ensure we fill your pocketbooks..:mad:

Of course this is just my opinion and does not mean I have proof of this. It just seems too suspicious to me. Now if more of their source code is leaked (Win98 and the worst bug in the world WinME) and MS is crying foul like they had nothing to do with it, I would seriously start to think this devilish plot is valid.::evil::

bubbajim said:
I wonder though.... You think maybe Microsoft allowed the leak?
My goodness, no.

Windows XP is based off of code from both Win2000 and WinNT.

If a hacker looked through the code for long enough, the guy would find several gaping holes (No doubt, because no programmer is perfect) and exploit them in some way on a global scale.

This is not good news for Windows users.

Back